Facebook groups

Having been dragged into the 21st century by my kids, I've got facebook and twitter running, so are there any useful groups on either that are worth linking up with?

Reply to
Lester Caine

No

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That's what I kept telling the kids ;)

Reply to
Lester Caine

Yes, but they don't listen as all their friends are on Facebook.

Anyway, my granddaughter who is nine, tells me to keep out of there as I'm too old.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

what is Facebook and twitter, from what I know of it its somewhere to make electronic friends, what ever they are! I've always found the real thing to be a better solution.

Mart>>> Having been dragged into the 21st century by my kids, I've got facebook >>> and

Reply to
campingstoveman

As far as I can tell, they are vehicles for the teenager, and adults with the emotional age of teenagers, to show off to their friends. The stimulation for such behaviour seems to be similar to those who walk along a street past a baker's shop and then make a phone call to say that they are now passing a baker's shop.

In any case, beware, because neither organisation os covered by Brit data protection laws

Reply to
gareth

Actually my own problem is that customers I am supporting almost have to have a presence on both these days and so I have to at least understand how they can be used. Some are getting quite sophisticated and I need to pick up their posts just so I can follow off-line discussions, which was the main drive.

But in 24 hours I've found just how BAD Facebook is! I live in Broadway, Worcestershire but do you think it will let me add that? There is a Broadway, Gloucestershire but I refuse to use that. Many of the other locations I need to add are coming up with 'acceptable' links which are obviously wrong or nothing at all so I've simply had to leave them off.

For those of you who do use Facebook ... Why can't we have 'associates' - people that we do know, but don't want to 'follow'. This is the area that my customers are now finding a major aggravation. There is a level of filtering but it's still all or nothing in key areas :( There are some groups for CNC and Model Engineering, but I don't believe they have the tools to replace lists like this!

Reply to
Lester Caine

ISTR from a bellringers' jaunt (NEVER campanologists to the cognoscenti!) that Broadway has a much older village centre up on the hill, where remains the ancient church, and that when the turnpike was built through the valley, that the village moved down the hill in order to get the passing trade?

The ancient church continues to have one service per year, so has not been declared redundant?

Reply to
gareth

a place to embarrass yourself with stupid remarks from what I can gather

Reply to
mick

Unlikely.

The rationale for Facebook seems to be to expose your information to other users, collect potential marketing information about people and to sell it on to other organisations. As I understand it, nothing added to Facebook is ever deleted, and they keep quietly altering their terms and conditions to reduce your privacy by sleath. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole as they apparently used to say.

Reply to
Peter J. Seymour

A missspelling sometimes is very appropriate.

Sleath:

"The surname Sleath with its variants Slay, Slee, Sleith, Sligh and Sly, is derived from the Middle English sleg or Old Norse sloeg-r, meaning "clever, cunning", hence "sly". The original meaning of the Norse word was "able to strike", slog- being the preterite stem of the verb sla "to strike"."

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

And those of us of a certain age (which seems to be the bulk of we modelling engineers) who had access to a TV in the 1950s and early

1960s will remember Miss Print, who was the secretary of Mr.Pastry
Reply to
gareth