King Arthur

I notice that a well known Sheffield shop has got the new Hornby King Arthur in stock. As I won't be getting mine yet because my local shop won't get them in for a while, any feedback from anybody who has purchased one would be appreciated. Regards, Paul.

Reply to
paul_afrancis

wrote

This 'local' model shop got the first of the 'King Arthurs' today, so don't understand why it will be a while before yours get theirs.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So what do you think of it then, John? Paul.

Reply to
paul_afrancis

wrote

This 'local' model shop got the first of the 'King Arthurs' today, so don't understand why it will be a while before yours get theirs.

John.

Sadly, not every shop gets patronised ! Mine is still waiting for 9Fs, MkII and class 60 from Hornby and Pendolino ! Either wait, or go further afield and have mail order (Like I have done from yourself in the past!)

The choice is ours.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

wrote

Not even opened one to be honest Paul, far too busy today. Just hope they've not used Tri-ang tender wheels like with 'Lorna Doone' - I'm sick of people complaining that they won't run through modern pointwork!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You've seen the Lorna Doone?

I gather by your mention of Triang tender wheels, the locomotive is different. Does it still have the old moulded-on handrails. feed pipes, clacks etc?

If it's a better model than the old one then I want one - to display because my running stuff is O-gauge, including a Dean Single.

On the other hand, an American friend who fell in love with the Arthurs, Schools and S15 when he visited the UK some years ago, would love a good model of an Arthur.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

"Christopher A.Lee" wrote

Yes, they were released a couple of weeks ago.

They seem to have changed just one or two things:-

a) the motor & gearing b) the livery and c) added extra pick-ups

Not really. although it does run more smoothly (on straight track) and the quality of finish is better.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The motor and gearing was one of the good points of the old one. The XT-60 (?) was the best of Triang's motors, with a built in thrust bearing beyond the worm.

Thanks.

It's a pity - this is one of my all time favourite engines. My O-gauge specimen is 3065 Duke of Connaught which took of from City of Truro on the second leg of the epic high speed run.

I've also got a framed Hawkins print of Lorna Doone.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

Someone raised a similar point to this some time ago and I queried it with both our Hornby and Bachmann reps. Both concluded that shops don't get stock only if

a) they didn't order something or b) they ordered it too late (i.e. the production run was already sold out) or c) they didn't pay their bills and were on credit 'stop'.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

Someone raised a similar point to this some time ago and I queried it with both our Hornby and Bachmann reps. Both concluded that shops don't get stock only if

a) they didn't order something or b) they ordered it too late (i.e. the production run was already sold out) or c) they didn't pay their bills and were on credit 'stop'.

John.

Like I said, not patronised. If you don't sell enough to pays the bills, you don't get any more stock ! No more new stock, no customers. Bit of a catch

22 !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Talking to Hornby at Alexandra Palace about pre-chipping locos they said that the King Arthur was being delivered in a pre-chipped version. Given the comments about the Pendolino should the chipped version be avoided if not using Hornby DCC.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote

The version which has arrived in stock does not have an 'X' suffix to the catalogue number and therefore should NOT have a DCC decoder fitted.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

Not seen one myself, but the word on the street in [SEmG] is that there are problems with them going round curves of less than 24" radius.

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

Well, I picked up a 30453 'King Arthur' from The Signal Box, Rochester, today and I have to say I am very impressed. Although I can't comment on dimensional accuracy (I haven't and am not going to measure the model!), when I look at the locomotive, I think it does capture the spirit of the prototype well. It pulls 7 normally weighted Bachmann Mk1 coaches without much effort on the flat, though it slips a bit with them on the 1 in 75 gradient that I have 'built-in' to the room my test layout is in (the house isn't quite level...!). Backhead detail is exquisite, though not all separate parts where items have been picked out in 'bronze' they look quite fine. The tender is fairly close coupled to the loco for a RTR model, and I think someone else has already pointed out potential problems on tight curves (mine are minimum 32 inch, and there's only a couple of millimetres on the inside curve between loco and tender).

A word of warning: Hornby have obviously not intended this model for the 'quick get it out of the box and run it now!' brigade. There are two upside down 'L' plates screwed to the bottom of the loco that help to stop movement in transit. These have to be unscrewed and removed before running can commence. I believe this therefore might be the first RTR loco to which you HAVE to take a screwdriver to before it will run...

Overall though, I think this is an excellent model, in keeping with the excellence of the M7, and I hope that future models from Hornby will keep up this level of work. I await the Maunsell coaches with a dash of hope...

Now (with apologies to John Turner who it appears can't stand Southern stuff ;-), if only an S15, a T9, a 700 Black Motor, a Q, and goodness knows how many more BR(S) locos could be produced to this standard!

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Ian J." wrote

Add an Adams Radial and a Beattie well tank and you might convert me to being an LSWR enthusiast! Nothing against any railway, let alone the Southern, just believe that balance in a manufacturer's output makes more sense than having all the eggs in one basket.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'd happily add both of those, but I'd also add a decent model of the ex-LBSC Terrier. The Dapol/Hornby one just isn't right, especially in later form as an A1X.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

John, big snip from what you said and a question for your retail experience. Several people have said to me recently that if you get a diecast bus and paint it in Southdown livery it will fly out of the door - everyone seems to want to buy Southdown irrespective of where they live. One explanation offered to me is that because so many people came to the south coast for their holidays in the "Good Old Days", and because it brings back happy memories, and because Southdown basically operated from somewhere east of Eastbourne to Warsash (just east of Southampton) they were a big part of this feel good factor in people's minds.

  1. Do you offer any thoughts on this?

  1. Do you think that Hornby might be cashing in on this "feel good in the south" effect?

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton