New Shop

They'll be breaking ground on our new addition behind the house in a day or so. Part of it will be a small shop for me, 15' x 22'. The rest is living quarters for our 28 yr. old handicapped son. It'll give him a greater sense of independence while we wait out the 10 yr. or so waiting list for him to get the services he needs to live elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to having a place to work. It'll be air conditioned, which is pretty much a requirement here in central Texas. Lately we've been right around 100 F, dewpoint high 60's. Pretty warm. Still, it's not as bad as where I grew up on the coast. I was down there re-doing the boat trailer. Dewpoints have been 79 lately. If you're outside, you're drenched.

I'm getting ready by building new storage shelves in the garage and re-assembling the stuff I pulled out of the basement in Michigan. I do any heavy work before lunch, because the afternoons are a little too hot with the western exposure of the garage.

As a matter of fact, I'm stopping this now to go sand and paint the new storage shelves. More later.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Old tromping grounds, mind narrowing it closer than just central Tx.? Austin, S.A., hill country? That's where I wanted to move, but there would have been NO help building.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Between Georgetown and Liberty Hill. We can see the S. Fork of the San Gabriel. It's a gated community with a POA, but they were very reasonable, considering. The county health dept. required more negotiating.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Yeap, that's a good place, you'll get use to the heat of the summers.

The only time I was in that almost exact area was a Halloween party back around 1998. Sis said lets go and as soon as she started the car about 8 cop cars showed up and started running to the house. Perfect timing !

Enjoy

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Do you mind explaining why it takes 10 years? Fwikt, if I was crippled today, after paying in to ss since I was 14 or so, it would take 2 years to get paid for benefits. Likely I'd have to pay a lawyer. I've seen this happen to productive people that got hurt or had health issues, I'm not talking about gamers or slackers.

I was in Texas once, starting a week before McViegh did his dirty deed, a little bicycle trip from pecos down to the rio grande though Big Bend National Park and back.

Texas was hot in April. I'd not like trying Summer.

No chit this time of year.

Enjoy retirement, you worked and paid for it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

that got hurt

This is Texas. The waiting list for HCS services (in home help so many hours a month for those qualifying (needing it)) is about 9-10 years in Texas. This ranks 48th or so out of the 50 states. And with the current budget troubles, a lot of the services waiting lists are actually backtracking. David had these services in Michigan, but Texas is home. We'll make it work.

Thanks.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Be sure and pay attention to that HOA, and be involved in elections of officers. things can change.

Reply to
RBnDFW