Hornby 2008

The terms long pre-date public railways, going back to the 1600s. The first usage of "railway/railroad" was, IIRC (can't see my copy of Lewis from here..), in the first half of the 1600s (pre civil war, I think) with "waggonway" being used from the 1680s at least. In the northern coalfield there were also "wainways", which were dedicated cart-roads for haulage of coal. Some of these were converted to (railed) waggonways, some supplanted.

There doesn't seem to have been an early preference for "way" vs. "road" - of the two first public railways, one (the Lake Lock) was a Railroad, the other (the Surrey Iron) a Railway. It's possible the proximity of the SIR to London helped the -way form to become more popular.

In south Wales in the 1780s-1810s "tramway" and "tramroad" seemed to be used interchangably for plateways, too - there doens;'t seem to have been a preference based on length or public access. In fact, one of the longest of them - and one which operated a passenger service - was the Brecon Forest Tramroad.

Of course, these //are// Americanisms ;)

Actually, it's the process of technology transfer of railways/roads to the americas is quite a disputed area, with different researchers giving different emphasis to expats, military engineers (the first railway/road in the americas probably being built by the British Army in colonial times), american visitors to England (e.g. Strickland) and transfer via published documents. The pioneering lines and the first steam railways in the US do seem to have been predominantly local efforts, albeit with expat, military, visitor-to-europe, published-document and artifact-transfer (locomotives!) playing important (though variable) roles. There's a good article on this in "Early Railways" (published by the Newcomen Soc.).

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Ex Pats ( otherwise known as Paddies) I believe!

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

You didn't wonder why it was an 2-6-0 with a ten wheeled tender???? ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I've never tried swapping parts but that Hornby 9F tender drive motor looks very much like the Fleischmann standard motor. I read somewhere that Hornby actually bought Fleischmann armatures (etc) for their initial production run.

The 9F has an awful lot of daylight under the boiler and over the frame

- my Airfix 9F looked terrible with it's X04 MW05 motor visible in the gap! The Hornby model had an extra millimeter or two of space there - why did they do that???

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

Judging from the activity since Hornby bought the Dapol range of locos, they've been very busy in recent years! One has to keep remembering that their business is _sales_, not catering to we model fanatics.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Andrew Robert Breen" wrote

It was in accordance with current practice that I made my 'Americanism' comment - although rather tongue-in-cheek, especially as I detest the BBC's current fad of referring to railway stations as train stations.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

They've been *sure* of markets before - remember 'Pound Puppies' and radio-controlled toys? Funny they didn't last very long.

John.

MBQ

Reply to
John Turner

wrote

LOL - and yet the photographs in the 2008 catalogue show the tender locos still retaining that ridiculous loco to tender coupling which is *totally* unsuitable for models designed to be handled by young kids.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

" It's the reason I buy Marmite when I visit my model train chums in a town 45 minutes' drive away. There are a lot of elderly Brits in that town, you see, and they like their Marmite. AFAICT, I'm the only one who likes Marmite in this town."

G'day, You should be trying Vegemite. Marmite is a Meat product extract. Vegemite is a Vegetable extract. Better brain food and lets the eater play sports to a higher standard. LOL Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme

"Why should Hornby do it any given time? For all we know, Hornby was planning the Railroad range five years ago, and the fact that Bachmann was planning a 9F for release around the same time was probably not known to them. Manufacturers are not in the habit of telling each other what products they are planning."

G'day, I do know for a fact that Hornby due to requests from the general public, Modellers strapped for cash and a section of the Trade, have been working on a cheaper range for some years. Not everyone in this hobby wants to buy a Hornby or Bachmann loco that bits break off as you take it out of the box. The highly detailed locos look great but you can not handle them let alone let your children or grandchildren touch them. Remember back to when you started in this hobby. Most of us started at an early age (Not me I had to wait till I was 21 but I am one of the exceptions to the rule) with locos that you could put on the track yourself. Their has been a lot of discussion around the world about the future of our hobby. We are growing older and the young ones have a lot of distractions so when we do find a fledging hobbyist we should encourage them. They do not need a locomotive that they can not handle for fear of breaking something. We need the young or this generation of Rail modellers could be the last. If we take a good look at our selves & our clubs you will find a lot of grumpy old men that hate having kids in their hobby. We have to lighten up and encourage kids in to the hobby so that in the future you have someone to sell your higher quality models. Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme

Marmite is yeast extract. Bovril is the beef extract one.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

"I've never tried swapping parts but that Hornby 9F tender drive motor looks very much like the Fleischmann standard motor. I read somewhere that Hornby actually bought Fleischmann armatures (etc) for their initial production run."

G'day, I think you will find that the people that made the Fleischmann motors made the first 9F motors. These are the 9F's with the Tender permeantly coupled to the loco. Some parts can be used to repair Fleischmann motors, such as the armature etc. but others have been changed so that they can not slot in to the Fleischmann. Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme

Good day to you too, bud.

The label says Marmite is a _yeast_ extract.... Sort like concentrated salty beer. Should suit you Ozzies down to the ground.

Heh heh.

Reply to
Wolf K.

Nope, they're Britishisms.

A motorway is called a freeway, and interstate, a four-lane, etc, depending on location and type. That's so even if they run right through the centre of town, as some of them do. (We navigated the freeway through Austin, Texas, at one interchange there are six levels of road, if we counted right.)

[...]
Reply to
Wolf K.

Hi Graeme,

I wasn't thinking of using Hornby spare parts to repair Fleischmann - more the other way around! :-) Hornby spares tend to be expensive here in New Zealand whereas there are plenty of old Fleischmann Loks about, not to mention spare armatures from upgrading adequate Fleischmann Loks with the newer flywheel armatures. Still, it's nice to get the Fln parts rumour confirmed. It should be possible to fit the Fln flywheel armature into the original

9F if anyone wanted the fractionally better performance.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

What a load of Bollocks,if anything its addled your brain. Your statement about Marmite being a Meat product extract is wrong. Were you by any chance thinking of Bovril which comes in a similar shaped jar to marmite?

Personally I think there is very little to choose between Vegemite and Marmite. They are both Yeast extracts and the list of other ingredients in the products have lot in common. Have bought both at the same time and served them side by side on Bread from the same loaf It was only after I told the guests that there were two different brands on the plate that some thought there was a difference.

G.Harman

Reply to
oldship

I remember reading a US letters to the editor discussion (probably MR circa 1970) on "Railroad" vs "Railway". The conclusion was that until the 1950s/60s and wholesale amalgamations, about a third of US lines were "Railways". I _HATE_ the term "Train station".

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Sounds like an impersonation of an old tube car compressor.

I think a lot of people associate the US with Railroad because the companies we heard about were the large ones such as Union Pacific,Santa Fe. About the only large one I can remember calling itself a Railway was the Great Northern. I think some US mail cars were l known as Railway Post offices though? Equally Canada had the famous Canadian Pacific Railway which reached overseas with it shipping line plus a very short period when it had stock running on the European Mainland. Canada until 50 or so years ago still seemed to retain a lot of British influence so Railway seems natural for there. G.harman

Reply to
oldship

My goodness what a challenging social life you lead.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Pound Puppies - thought you said Hornby werent innovative ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon