Hornby 2008

= "level crossing" in the UK, but usually called a railroad (or rail/road) crossing or a grade crossing in both Canada and the USA.

Australia still uses the "RAILWAY CROSSING" crossbuck.

MartinS

There are bilingual signs on provincial highways in designated French- speaking areas of Ontario (including, oddly, Toronto), also in New Brunswick, Canada's only officially bilingual province. There are also bilingual road signs on federal properties, such as airports.

Stop signs in Québec read "ARRÊT" - in France they read "STOP".

Reply to
MartinS

My 3-year-old grandson in Toronto is a big Thomas and Friends fan, but the only trains he has ridden on are diesel loco-hauled GO and VIA trains, and electric subway trains. Within 50 miles or so of Toronto there is one preserved steam line and an electric railway museum with old Toronto trams and interurban cars. I'll have to make sure he gets to visit them.

MartinS

How on earth do they separate the tramway electricity from the railway electricity at that Australian level crossing?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Thank you for the update, it is now a while since I have worked with Canadian Servicemen and admitedly my family members were indeed in French Canada although my own experience was strictly Ottowa and B.C.

Regards

Reply to
Peter Abraham

Insulated sections not too disimilar to what was/is required on tram and to a greater extent trolley bus wiring. Not to sure what the railway voltage is in Melbourne but is probably a relatively low 1500 or 3000 volts DC system.

There were examples in the UK. ISTR the Teeside Railless Traction Board Trolleybusses in the North East crossed one of the electrified colliery lines at a level crossing.

G.Harman

Reply to
oldship

There has been considerable discussion on this topic in

by problems in Seattle where a new streetcar line crosses trolleybus wires. San Francisco has streetcar/trolleybus crossings, in fact they run side by side on Market Street. All their surface streetcar overhead is compatible with both pantographs and trolley poles. Edmonton, among other places, has trolleybus wires crossing its Light Rail line.

I guess problems would be more severe if the railway had high voltage AC.

Reply to
MartinS

In message , Graeme writes

Well, I did wonder.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Wolf K." wrote in news:478688e9$0$14105 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

It should help them with their rugby as well. :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson