Need some website feedback.

Okay, to make a long story short, I've come in to ownership of the domains "ElectricalConsultants.net" and "ElectricalConsultants.org" because of a bookkeeping error on my part (Client decided he didn't want them, I forgot to cancel the renewal). So now I'm sitting here with these two domains, once I ended up keeping them, I tried to sell them, got no takers. So now, I'm thinking they would be great domains for an Electrical Consultant portal site, but since, outside of the one site I did for the one client, I have no experience at all in this area, I was looking for feed back on:

  1. Would it even be useful and used?
  2. What should the site offer, other than a forum?

It seems like a good idea to me, but again, I don't know the industry, so I have no clue where to start.

Obviously, I'm not opposed to selling the domains if someone is interested, but I've tried that, didn't work.

Reply to
Mike H

I recently sold a domain name, but the name was at the top of many search engines for key word searches and it got about 800 hits a day. on.com just sold for over $500,000 and sex.com sold for $12 million. Right now domain name sales are hot, especially dot com's and single word dot com names. To learn about domain name sales go to

sell a domain name take a look at
there are questions about IRS taxes. Is a domain sale an asset sale, a capitol gains, or just regular income? I have talked to several attorneys and they tell me to wait until Oct 15 to file because by then there may be more information about the taxes. Of course one could open an account in the Cayman Islands and the IRS would never know the difference if you lie on your foreign investment statement.

Reply to
electrician

snipped-for-privacy@electrician2.com wrote in news:1146731090.376604.105140 @j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I know the guy that owns the .com is asking $3,000 for it, and has been for a few years (I'm still waiting for the guy that owns Halbrook.com to realize none of us are gonna pay what he's asking for it, so just let it go to the highest bidder).

Part of me would rather develop the portal and grow it, would be a nice portfolio site to use for my development business, the hard part is just figuring out what features to put on it.

Reply to
Mike H

click for cash is the growing trend. Google does a lot of it (just look at the sponsored links on the right side of their usenet group pages or for any search), but about 10 smaller portals are doing the same thing. They simply make yellow page sites and charge by the clicks. But you need the traffic to do this. You get the traffic through offering something many want for nothing and by finding a way to rank high at Google, Yahoo, or msn for common searches. Now just what would that be for electrical consultants? That is the problem you have to solve.

Reply to
electrician

snipped-for-privacy@electrician2.com wrote in news:1146732890.565212.274170 @i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Something along those lines would be implemented ultimatly, at the very Least Google's ad service, if not more specialized links (I am also developing a portal for my local community, and the only ads that will run on there are ads from local businesses, no Google).

And the reason I posted here. I figured there are probably more of my target audience here than any of the newsgroups and forums I participate in (plus, tho not specifically on topic, not as off-topic to the rest of them).

Reply to
Mike H