Need to make some 55 gal drum dollies

I have some left over casters and want to make some simple drum dollies. The caster plate measures 3 5/8 x 2 3/8 in size. I will be making one for a 55 gallon drum, two for 30 gallon drums, and one for an oddball sized mini garbage can. I'm thinking just a real simple rolled/ringed flatbar for the lip and then two pieces of flatbar in a cross pattern for the bottom/caster mounts.

I don't have much steel left after my latest project so the steel for this project will be purchased new, either from the shorts section of the steel shop or in 20' lengths and just put the left over on the shelf. What size flat bar would you think good for this type of project? What thickness flatbar can be reasonably bent around the bottom of the drum without heat, by hand? What size and thickness for the caster mounts?

Thanks Wayne

Reply to
wrace

"wrace" wrote: (clip) What size flat bar would you think good for this type of project? What thickness flatbar can be reasonably bent around the bottom of the drum without heat, by hand? What size and thickness for the caster mounts? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ How much weight will be in the drums?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The 55 gallon steel drum holds shovels, picks etc. maybe 50lbs plus the weight of the drum.

The small garbage can holds floor dry, maybe 75lbs or so.

The 30 gallon holds scrap steel pieces, maybe 120lbs there abouts.

Wayne

Reply to
wrace

Would a piece of plywood or equivalent cut round with a metal strap lip around the outside work for you?

Reply to
carl mciver