Harbor Freight powder coating kit?

Has anyone tried one of these Harbor Freight Powder Coat Kits. I doesn't say in the ad that it needs a oven. Do they work or is it just a waste of money?

thanks for input.

Glenn Houston, Tx

Reply to
m5bmw

A buddy of mine bought the $150 one from Eastwood for his small business, said that it was good. Yes, you need an oven of some kind, he used an old electric kitchen oven.

Richard

m5bmw wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Any true powder coating system needs an oven. Some have used a UV(?) lamp to bake the powder. I think the HF setup would be realy nice for small parts (the size of an old kitchen stove's oven). Just don't use the oven to cook food in after you've baked some powdercoated stuff in it.

-- Lynn "I have opposable thumbs, and I'm not scared to use em" Amick

Lynn Amick

How hot do you have to have the oven. I'm looking at building a bed and I'm weighing my painting options. Shound I powder coat it or use a good exopy paint.

thanks for the input.

Glenn Houston, Tx

Reply to
m5bmw

The temp needs to be about 400F to cure the plastic.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

I've got one and it works fine and considering that I only paid $45 for it! I was $49.95 on sale and and used a $5 off coupon. I've seen the exact same kit go for nearly a $100 on eBay. I bought a used electric range for $25 which works fine with a few mod's to the oven so I can hang stuff. And if you don't care about the back side of whatever you are coating... just set it on the oven rack. I got my powder from Columba Coatings. The chrome powder coating (after some practice pieces) looks very nice. B.G.

Reply to
BillGeorge