Powder Coating Oven

Greetings All

I have an aluminum framed skeletal box I'd like to powder coat. The box is made from 1.25" square tubing and is roughly 44 * 24 * 12. If all goes well, I may have a continual need to coat objects of this size.

While the powder coat gun and powder are readily available. I need to build an oven. So I thought I throw out these ideas and get some feed back.

#1 Find an abandoned household refrigerator.

Gut all the plastic and styrofoam material inside, remove the separation between freezer and fridge compartment. Weld the doors into one structure. Wrap the exterior with fiberglass insulation, and add two standard electric oven heating elements and thermostats, and possibly some type of fan...

#2 Build something...

First thought was to get some metal framing studs, build a large box. Line the inside with either sheet metal ? OR ? cement board (like used for bathroom shower stall walls to stick ceramic tile to). Insulate the exterior, and again add some heating elements, T-stats, and a fan or two..

#3 Build something #2

Any chance I could just pour a concrete pad, build concrete block walls, and fabricate a removable sheet metal insulated roof? Will concrete deal with 500F temperatures?

Whatever gets built, will it need fresh air ventilation?

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

I believe that in the last month someone had a link to an oven he had made and I think it was close to your size, try digging back thru the old posts.

Reply to
Jim Geib

I liked it so I bookmarked it.

E MacLean

Just what I've been looking for. I just bught a gun from Caswell. Unfortunatly I didn't purchase any powder as I thought it came with the kit. Oh well, Ill just have to send another order. Thanks for the link.

Bernd

Reply to
Bernd

I Love this Group! Thanks Gents!

I've been wanting to build a break, I now have an excuss :)