R.H.

From Rec.woodworking

#357: Tire weight tool. For removing, installing ( hammer end ) and cutting down weights to lighten them up. #358: almost looks like part of an ice cube tray. #359: Leg irons? Old hand cuffs? #360: a sight? #361: Phone operator's station? #362: ??

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith
357 Very old fence pliers? 358 Insert from an ice cube tray. 359 A stirrup? 360 ?(but reminds me of a simple pin-hole box camera) 361 ? 362 Bicycle spoke wrench
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Mark's right on 357. I knew that, just couldn't get the brain wrapped around it this early.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

357. Brake tool 358. 359. Stirrup 360. Pin hole camera or device for viewing solar eclipse. 361. Telephone operators antique phone jacks. 362. Spoke wrench

A little easier this week.

RCM

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Gary Brady
357. Some kind of repair tool? (typewriters again mabie) 358. No idea 359. That looks to me like one part of a set of Derby Handcuffs or Leg Irons 360. No idea 361. No idea 362. No idea
Reply to
Jonathan Wilson
358 That's an ice-block divider

Roger

Gary Brady wrote:

Reply to
rlincolnh
363. Arabian dentist's tool (universal, mint condition, disenfected)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

#360 Collimation tool for a telescope.

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)

Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

357. Hammer, designed by a congressional committee.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Especially funny in german, because the german word for "committee" is "Ausschuss", the sams afs for "rejects" (in the sense of junk...)...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

357. Plastic surgery multitool. 358. Literacy. 359. Non-fuzzy handcuffs. 360. To determine if you have the dexterity to get that pin in there. 361. Cellphone. 362. Tailor's tool to adjust highly starched shirt collars.
Reply to
B.B.

357. A range fence tool 358. An ice cube tray 359. A stirrup, or other harness tack 360. ? 361. A telephone switchboard 362. Reminds me of a brake repair tool, but the T & B Tri-flex tells me it has something to do with electrical conduit/fittings

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

360. A wave diffraction demonstrator?

I think others have gotten the rest correctly; I think 359 is too heavy for a stirrup and is more likely the power-carrying link for a yoke - is that called a pintle?.

Reply to
Fred R

357. Tool used when balancing tires. The hammer portion is used to tap weights in place onto the tire rim, the pliers and claw portions are used to remove them, and the blade/notch in the handle is used to cut or shape them. 358. The divider portion of an ice-cube tray. 359. Leg irons, or handcuffs for people with large arms. 360. "Inverted Pin" illusion. By looking into the open end of the film can and through the pinhole at a bright light one can see an inverted image of the pin. 361. Telephone plug board, perhaps for a hotel. 362. Spoke wrench.

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

#358 looks like the insert from an old ice-cube tray--the kind that had a lever to crack the cubes loose.

#361 is a telephone switchboard, probably from a hotel

Reply to
Barbara Bailey

357. Tire Weight Pliers 358. Ice Cube Tray 359. Leg Irons 360. Pin-hole Camera 361. Pneumatic Tube terminal: probably from some store's accounting room 362. Golf tool for divot replacement
Reply to
RAM^3

Those numbers mean something ... 42 - 55 - 22.

This is the key and the combination to the hatch of the mysterious buried whatsit Locke blew open on LOST.

--

  • TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Also:

TomH

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

357) Looks like a multi-function tool -- pliers, wire cutter, hammer, crimper staple extractor, and the long claws perhaps for tensioning the wire. 358) Ice cube tray divider -- designed to break free of the ice cubes when the tray is flexed. (Some had a lever to break it all free, but this one appears to not be so equipped. 359) Hmm ... looks kind of like some really ancient handcuffs that I have seen (a screw reaches in the larger round piece to disengage from the other half). But at 3" total I'm not sure that it is large enough -- in which case it might be part of a hobble for a horse? 360) Optical, for sure. I can see two possible functions:

a) As a microscope -- with that tiny a hole, the eye should be able to focus on the pin head.

b) As a projector -- a bright light placed near the open end should project the image of the pin head onto a flat surface.

361) An annunciator panel. A push-button somewhere else will cause a buzzing sound at the panel, and the flappers with the numbers will drop to a horizontal position.

Interesting that the numbers from 1 through 6 are duplicated in a larger size -- perhaps greater importance?

Hmm -- the holes under each one suggest that this is really a simple phone switchboard -- perhaps for a hotel or something similar. And I *think* that when the flappers are dropped, they close contacts to keep making a buzzing sound until they are reset. The holes are the jacks for patch cables to connect from one to the next.

In that case, the six at the bottom are perhaps outside lines, to annunciate incoming calls? But where are the jacks for those -- somewhere outside the borders of what is shown?

362) Hmm -- T&B is (among other things) a manufacturer of crimp connectors. But I don't think that this one has anything to do with crimp connectors. It looks rather like a tool for bending armatures in relays -- but it might be yet another tool for typewriter repair.

Now to see what others have posted.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You've got a time machine now? The highest number that I see is #362, but #357 seems a closer match to your "description". :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols