What is it? CXXVI

This week's set of photos has just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
732. I'm guessing sissor sharpener from the angle. 733. Guessing. Specialized rabbeting plane. Missing the blade. Used like a spoke shave (odd). The wooden pieces sticking down would act as guides. 734. Looks like part of a cherry or olive pitter. 736. Guessing. A corner chisel. Maybe for stone working? 737. Flechette

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
kfvorwerk
732. Saw jointer - used to level the teeth before filing

733. Shop made router plane with cutter missing

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

732- holds a metal file (well duh) so that a square edge can be filed onto a piece of metal. 733

734

735- elevator car arrival lights

736- sheet metal cutting chisel, but designed for some special purpose. Metal roofing?

737- WWI hand-release bomb.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp
733 looks like the top of my Granny's pickling barrel. 734 is a golf ball retriever Puff
Reply to
Puff Griffis
733. Broken and incomplete router plane. The two short stubs are the remnants of the wood "loop" that encircled the blade. The L-shaped blade is missing.
735. Tail lights from an old Caddie? R
Reply to
RicodJour

Reply to
bamboo

Howdy Rob...Looks like

734 Is a golf ball retriever.... I have LOT'S of experience with one of these little babies.. My golf theory is getting ones money's worth out of a course by using all of the available terrain... ;-)

735 I'd want to guess some sort of phone indicator or a second guess whould be a lionel track switching indicator - Though I'd think the second light would be green if that were the case... I'm think something phone oriented.

736 Tree tapping tool? Hole start for a sproul hole?

737 Bomb for a model plane? At only 1.75 inches it's pretty small to be anything else.

Reply to
bremen68

Hey Rob.

732 is used to file a "square" edge on sheet stock. Used to level the tooth height on hand-saw blades too??

733. ?? part of a gauge of some sort? Tailor or dress-maker comes to mind. Hmmm.. or used in pairs as a width gauge?

734. Golf ball retriever.

735. Photography dark-room indicator lamp. White indicates room in use, red indicates light-sensitive activity.

736. Manual exhaust system tool, used to cut sleeved pipes.

737. Hmmm.... pretty small, so maybe a fishing accessory? Does it have a fastening point we can't see in this shot?

Reply to
Brian Lawson
735: Telephone 'Busy' and 'Ring' indicator lamps from an old PABX system. (These used incandescent lamps)

Carla

R.H. wrote:

Reply to
Carla Fong

the bomb like thing is, if it is about an inch and a half long, an anti personnell missile dropped by the thousands from airplanes on troops druing WWII.

Reply to
Wade the Tool Guy

734: Golf ball retriever
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I saw them in one of the old-time Army/Navy Surplus Stores labeled "Yellow Dog Bombs." They were supposedly dropped from aircraft onto troop concentrations. The streamlined shape allowed them to reach very high speeds, according to the proprietor.

Reply to
John Husvar
734 is a golf ball retriever. What is shown is at the end of a shaft from 4 to 6 fet long.

735 is the light to a PBX system. I've also seen something like this as a freezer temp alarm.

736 is a sheet metal cutting chisel. Could be used in muffler (probably) or body work.
Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

732. Jointer for saw teeth, works for scrapers too. 733. Router

734. Looks very familiar, can't quite place it--maybe for retreiving golf balls from water traps?

735. ??

736. Muffler and pipe splitting tool.

737. Swarms of these were dropped out of bombers in WWII with the intent of perforating sheet metal roofs of factories and damaging whatever they hit inside.
Reply to
fredfighter

According to R.H. :

As always, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

732) This is for filing the edge of some flat material. The teeth of the file are too fine to make wood a choice, and really too fine for many aluminum alloys, but Plexiglas, steel, brass, or quite a few other materials will do.

Thinking it over -- filing Plexiglas square is a necessary preparation for solvent gluing the edges to make something like an aquarium or something similar.

733) This one I would guess (and it is *only* a guess) is part of a music stand -- the part on which the bottom edge of the sheet music rests. Another part would slide onto the same metal tongue on which this clamps to offer back support for the music.

Whether it is part of a stand-alone stand, or one which is part of something like an organ I have no idea.

734) Based on the size and the apparent material, my guess is is a handle for picking up a pyrex lid to some cookware -- picking it up by the knob on top. 735) Some sort of indicator. Perhaps to go over the door to an airlock to say when it is safe to open. Perhaps for a conference phone. Perhaps for any of a large number of other possibilities. 736) An interesting variant of a splitter chisel for removing old mufflers from exhaust pipes. This one looks as though it can be held by the long part while the short part is used for the splitting -- keeping the user's hand out of range of the hammer, or once it is started by the short arm, you can switch to the long chisel, which would be pretty much self supporting while you hammer on it. 737) A "lazy dog" bomblet. No explosive, just mass. They were dropped from airplanes in large quantities, the fins assured that they oriented pointed end down, for optimum aerodynamics. The material which I have seen before was lead, though this one appears to have a steel outer skin from the apparent rust.

Falling from a significant height, they would reach a velocity similar to one fired from a gun, but the odds of hitting a standing person would be lower, thanks to the smaller cross-sectional area of a vertical view of the person.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
735 -

My guess is a deaf persons phone/door (white) or fire/etc (red) lamp.

Without hearing, different sounds we normally relate to has to be done in lamps.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

D> According to R.H. :

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

It looks like a good design for a reading light on the bridge of a fishing boat, for example, or to light a passageway to the bridge. In port you use white. At sea you leave a red light on in the passageway and use a red light on the bridge to see a chart.

If the lenses screw in, it would be easy to change a bulb in the dark. If they have rubber gaskets, the fixture could protect the contents from salty mist in the air.

Reply to
Bart Byers

Once again they've all been answered correctly:

732. Saw jointer

733. Router plane, thanks to everyone who gave the solution to this, the link on the answer page is the same one provided by RicodJour in this thread

734. Golf ball retriever

735. Phone system lights

736. Muffler tool

737. Lazy dog missile, I was planning to use "flechette" as the answer, until someone posted a good link on my site.

A couple of new photos and links have been posted on the answer page:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks for the link, does the missing piece of wood serve a function at all, or is it just there for aesthetics?

Rob

Reply to
R.H.