What is it? Set 461

This week's set of items has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2680 Is a fragmentation gernade. ( slang term, pocket artillary.)

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal
2679 A model of the Telstar communication satellite. 1 or 2 launched in 1962. Hey! 50 years ago.

2680 Looks like a "Mills Bomb" early hand grenade.

2681 Organ pipes?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2678: Locking clamp for printing, ca 1880-1897.
Reply to
J Burns
2677, no clue 2678, no clue 2679, no clue 2680, resembles a hand grenade, but the pull pin is a bit small. 2681 church organ pipes, badly in need of wood refinishing. 2682, some version of a chisel wedge.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2679- Telstar is the only famous comms satellite I can recall

2680- looks like a grenade that would be used on a stick as a booby-trap (pre-claymore mine)

2681- I'd say organ pipes as well, but no need for a handle on organ pipes. Some kind of grain sampler? Oddball feeder?
Reply to
spamTHISbrp
2677 - looks like a reed trimmer for a woodwind instrument, like a clarinet, or sax. Bill
Reply to
Bill

Solar power beach ball?

You know, that grenade could be a pull the trip wire model?

The "handle" allows the tuner to slide the end wood in or out, to adjust the note of the pipe.

.

2679- Telstar is the only famous comms satellite I can recall

2680- looks like a grenade that would be used on a stick as a booby-trap (pre-claymore mine)

2681- I'd say organ pipes as well, but no need for a handle on organ pipes. Some kind of grain sampler? Oddball feeder?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2677 -

2678 -

2679 - Telstar model

2680 - Japanese Type 97 grenade.

2681 - Look like organ pipes

2682 -

Reply to
Steve W.

I'm not sure if it's a Mills bomb but it's definitely a hand grenade.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, the patent on this one is 1920 but I'm sure there were earlier ones.

Reply to
Rob H.

Organ pipes is correct, someone had sent in the photo asking what they were.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, I'm told it's a trimmer for a clarinet.

Reply to
Rob H.

My father has interest in old musical stuff, and I've seen my share of odd things. In use, these are vertical, and the "handle" is on top.

.

Organ pipes is correct, someone had sent in the photo asking what they were.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oh, forgot. Posting from my desk top PC as always.

.

Organ pipes is correct, someone had sent in the photo asking what they were.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Amazing, the neat things to learn. Thanks, all.

.

Good answer, I'm told it's a trimmer for a clarinet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Japanese Type 97. Came out in 1937. You'd "light" the fuse by removing the cap and rapping the striker on your helmet. Sometimes they went off instantaneously. That may be why in public-opinion polls in 1945, most Japanese said it would be okay to execute the emperor.

Reply to
J Burns

2677) Strange beastie. Might be to dispense glass microscope slides. The size is about right. Other than that, no guesses.

2678) A somewhat wider version of a machinist's jack -- intended to live part of a workpiece to the right height above the machine table, so the surface being machined is level.

The "lock" feature is so it does not change its height during the vibration of machining.

Most that I have seen are somewhat smaller, and don't have the lock feature.

2679) Well ... this looks like a satellite. Smaller than most, but larger than the original Vanguard "grapefruit". The antenna is interesting. It has a lot of silicon solar cells to keep it powered in space (no way to get to it to change batteries until the shuttle came into being.)

I guess that it could be something carried aloft on a balloon for research, but the fact hat the solar cells cover most of it suggests that it is designed to run for a long time at varying angles to the sun.

I've seen one of the Vanguard ones which never got launched. (The lab where I worked had vacuum coated them, including later ones of various sizes.)

The white coating is unusual, as is the belt of windows around the equator. (Hmm ... it almost looks as though I see people behind the windows, so perhaps this is a model of some large scale space station.

2680) Looks like the business end of a German WW-II (or perhaps even WW-I) "Potato Masher" hand grenade.

It is certainly cast into a shape intended to fragment to make lots of shrapnel.

But a quick look at WikiPedia shows images which are a bit different. It is still a grenade, but not the one which I thought.

2681) Two wood organ pipes -- missing the stems which plug into the wind box. The handles at the right hand end are for pushing/pulling plugs which tune the pipe to the desired note.

2682) Perhaps replaceable blades for something like a road surface planer -- to remove upper layers of asphalt paving prior to re-paving?

The first machine I ever saw to do this was labeled a "Scaraplane", so I think of this as "scaraplaning".

Now to post and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

The handle is for moving a plug in the end of the pipe, to tune it to the desired pitch.

I had a few of these after our school chapel was "re-organized", and the old pipes were up for grabs.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2682 are teeth for a thresher cylinder.