What is it? LI

Just posted a new set of photos:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

284, A piece of mountain climbing equipment. Cams lock into a crack and attach ropes to it. Sorry I don't know the official name. 285, some kind of airfoil, spoiler, tv antenna for a vehicle?

289, a 45 RPM record adapter for a record player spindle.

Reply to
Lane

284 Looks like some kind of escapement 285 Foam Glider 286 Soda Machine Key? 287 ?? 288 light meter 289 45 rpm record spindle
Reply to
Steve Decker

285 computer-designed boomerang ?
Reply to
Peter Morris

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:

284) ???? Interesting, but I'm not sure what it is.

It looks as though it is intended to provide directional grip on something or other.

285) Spoiler designed to deflect bugs from the windshield, perhaps? If so -- it would probably mount at the front of the hood (or bonnet for the UK readers).

286) Some sort of removable crank. It looks as though it can be set straight, and fed through a tube, with a notch in the end of the tube to engage the cross pins, and then the crank folded to allow operation.

287) Slides over a projecting head (as of a screw or a rivet), and serves to hang a load from with a clip. Perhaps from some military belt of some period, though that is just a guess.

288) A *really* old photographic exposure meter. A step up from the optical ones, where you look in through an eyepiece and the dimmest number you can read is your exposure. This one at least appears to be photovoltaic.

It also appears to be marked in two systems of film sensitivity. One is the DIN (German), and the other I would expect to be ASA, but the marking does not seem to say that. I can't make it out -- too pixelated by the JPEG compression.

It may be contemporary with the shutter/iris assembly which you had up recently.

289) A 45-RPM spindle adaptor -- made by "Voice of Music" (see the "VM" logo on the end.) It is intended for use on a record changer.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

#289 A 45RPM adapter spindle for a multiplatter LP turntable. Probably a motorola. #288 Light meter for camera. #286 Looks like a starter handle for an old tractor, but too small. #284 Must have something to do with bicycles.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Isn't 286 one of those wire hose clamp tools?

Erik

Reply to
Erik

A "Friend". This one's actually a "Flexible Friend", because it has a cable body, not a rigid body. May be a rip-off copy, as many of them are.

287 Bed key ?

288 Photographer's lightmeter

Reply to
Andy Dingley

286: Elevator key. You insert this tool into the round hole at the top of the outer door(s). Twisting the tool will unlatch the door.

(posting from rec.antiques)

Reply to
Tim Mullen

287--fireplace damper wrench?
Reply to
rhiannon

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 18:16:21 -0700, Steve Decker wrote (in article ):

284 Cam lock (climbing equip.) 288. Old exposure meter.
Reply to
Bruce

284. A "Friend". Rockclimbing gadget. The toothed wheels cam out when placed in a crack to provide a tie-off point. 285. Stealth boomerang 286. I'll have to pass on this one. 287. No clue 288. Ancient voltmeter 289. Storage canister for checkers

rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Gary Brady

284. Rock anchor. For parking rock boats. At rock concerts. 285. Breast Implant for Boomerangs. 286. Elevator Molester Schwing-Weenie! 287. 1890's Clutch Adjustment tool. 288. Wave a baby over it and it'll tell you how fat the kid will get. 289. Can of Whoopass. Do not open!

Posting from Earth. Or close to it.

Reply to
B.B.

Hey Rob,

Number 286 is a "broken knuckle key" for unlocking the hall doors on certain types of elevators, generally to gain access to the car top for servicing.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Just posted a new set of photos:

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Hey Rob,

Number 288 is an older light-meter for photography.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Just posted a new set of photos:

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Beat me to it. My friend has one sitting in his tool bag.

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Interesting - we didn't have these in the UK (AFAIK).

Our approach for playing second-hand ex-jukebox singles (for new singles don't need any adapter) was different. We put a little plastic adaptor clip into each record.

Reply to
Andy Dingley
úx??QMOÃ0 ½÷WøÄ1?cLÛuB?Æ/HR¯ Mâ(NWº_S$??H±ý??}P{S¦?ë¦?íM_?áeä?¸`"NÀX??NT??Öm¿ÁW???´nÛ4^.¿ÐÊxê9QQ?Bû7õ*8ùy»ºS?=x?Xµ:?vxvadÉ)C&;?õ.©*¥8¡uGgµ÷34®?ï?qò?¬¹W{ D É/ëØïjéAÁëOâ?s[Æ«Ã"­cøQ0vÚxMµZ? ?×vx?·H?? f?²'µ(¯~µ?í%?´å1?q®Br%vB\= Å%.®?¡B?©?Å; .vÒÝ ¹ù?£ã
Reply to
bkr

I'll guess my perennial "elevator shaft key" for 286, but I don't really believe it.

I know how 287 is supposed to work, but not why or what for.

288 is a bit of photo equipment, best guess would be a fancy light meter.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

ROTFL. I've posted "elevator shaft key" for a number of gadgets (including this one), most of which I had more confidence than the current one. It's always been wrong. A lot of people are guessng it for this one... maybe it's finally right.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto