What is it? LXXVII

A new set of photos has been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

Add pictures here
βœ–

#443: Hammer for body work, sheet metal work #444: Tool for pressing/forming caps onto small bottles. Like vaccine bottles etc. #445: for folding paper. "Scribe" a groove into paper, then bend it along that groove. #447: some kind of quick caliper?
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

442 Stud or bolt remover
--
Nahmie
βœ–
Norman D. Crow wrote:

437 dowel rod
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:32:42 +0200, Nick Mόller put fingers to keyboard and said:

I'd think for likely it's for (re)loading shotgun shells
Add pictures here
βœ–
R.H. wrote:

444. Shotgun cartridge roll crimper
Add pictures here
βœ–
442 is a screw remover
Add pictures here
βœ–

442 - "easy-out" type tool. 443 - bung hammer? 444 - roll crimper 445 - seaming tool 446 - 447 - some type of ice tong?
-
Add pictures here
βœ–
GMT:

436 looks like a fancy spindle.
-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
442: screw/bolt extractor 443: smithing hammer, for getting into highly raised work 445: marking knife 447: haybale lifter thingy. The lifting point is between the gear teeth. The lever is the release thingy that would have a line on it
yours, Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix
βœ–
Michael Houghton wrote:

Don't think it's a hayhook although I suppose it could have been used as such.
Can't get much of a feel for the overall size as I have no idea what the 19" dimension is in reference to, but I'm thinking it looks more like a light logging hook than for hay purposes.
But, hey, who knows what them crazy Canadians did, eh? :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 01/09/2005 2:19 PM, Duane Bozarth wrote:

Heyyyy, I resemble that remark!
I agree, too small for a hay hook, which typically only had one hook with a T-handle. At least when I loaded hay those many years ago. Nowadays it's giant round bales and a forklift, except for the local Mennonites and Amish who still load horse-drawn wagons and loaders with pitchforks.
Logging hooks are not usually big, at least not the handheld ones. There's a practical limit to how big a log a couple of loggers can lift.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Doug Payne wrote:

That's a hand hook for bundles or small square/round bales...
A double-hook similar to that shown was used often for loose hay in lofts, loading/unloading wagons, etc. For that purpose it seems far to small and I've not seen one w/ the ratchet mechanism, either.

And, of course, don't forget the 40 or 60-ft boom stacker... :)
Here most everbody simply uses a balefork on the tractor for moving just a few. Almost everybody has gone to the 2T round here as well.

That's why I made my guess...I'm thinking this one might have been used w/ a team. (But what do I know--ain't no trees within 200 miles of here... :) )
Add pictures here
βœ–
Regarding 447: Perhaps a clamping hook for pulling roots and smaller stumps in clearing farm land. Agree that it is much too small and heavy for a bale-grabber and too small for a loose-fodder fork, which more typically have an 'armspan' of 6 feet or more.
--
Fred R
________________
Fred R wrote:

I'm thinking it was more like a "skidder" hence the latch mechanism?
Doesn't look tough enough to me for rough work such as the stump puller although that's hard to judge from the picture--if knew how much it weighed might help to judge.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I agree! Puller for thornbrush, small stumps, etc. we used was more like a pair of scissors, made of 1/2" thick steel with short chains attached to handle ends & a ring where you hooked the pull chain.
--
Nahmie
βœ–

The overall length in the first photo is 19".
Rob
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 01/09/2005 6:06 AM, R.H. wrote:

442. industrial hemorrhoid remover 443. autobody repair hammer 444. shotgun shell crimper 445. carpenter's marking/striking knife 446. some sort of alcohol burner? 447. log/timber carrier, maybe block ice carrier - handle is for releasing the grip
Add pictures here
βœ–
Rob re # 436 The only thing I have seen that comes close is a tester for finding out the hardness of optical pitch used to polish telescope mirrors and lenses. Although they are usually calibrated with a scale of some kind. Maybe it had a similar use for a different item. See the url below
http://www.turbofast.com.au/astrotel/pitchtester.html
R.H. wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
R.H. wrote:

442 - EZ Out 443 - Peen hammer 444 - Bananna straightener 445 - Typesetter's linoleum knife 446 - Cover for early multi freq radio crystal oven 447 - Log/lumber hook or Amish navel piercing device
Lumpy -- In Your Ears for 40 Years http://www.lumpymusic.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

Site Timeline