What is it? LXXVII

443 Panel beater's or metal worker's dolly 445 Fleam - for bloodletting, possibly veterinarian 447 Log lifter or puller
Reply to
Roy Dennis

I agree! Puller for thornbrush, small stumps, etc. we used was more like a pair of scissors, made of 1/2" thick steel with short chains attached to handle ends & a ring where you hooked the pull chain.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

442. Broken drill bit

443. Sheet metal tool, perhaps. Set the ball end against the piece being worked and strike the other end of the head with a mallet.

444. I'd guess it clamps to a bench and something gets turned. Possibly the piece with a longer handle isn't actaually part of it.

445. Used for scribing designs in wood.

446. Defective ice cube tray

447. Part of a crane, used for picking up the new apprentice by the shirt.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

442. Battery post reamer 443. Body hammer 444.. Wine bottle corker 447. Frog grab

From RCM.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

The vent core?

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Most of the items have been identified correctly except 445.

445. is an eraser

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

442 - a bit? 443 - hammer for roof nails? 444 - used for sealing a bottle cork? 445 - glass cutter? 446 - ice tray? 447 - calipers for measuring horse hoof size?
Reply to
Trish
446. Is for making ice cubes from sheet ice. Fill the top with hot/warm water to warm the fins. The weight and heat cut down into the sheet ice making cubes.

DanG

Haven't been able to confirm what it is, here are the guesses so far:

-note holder

-static electricity dischargers

-puncture test tool

-grandfather's clock mechanism

-weights for the scales of justice

-for electrical experiments

-durometer

-tester for finding the hardness of optical pitch

-spindle for paper

-for making indentations in metal

-standard lightning rod balls and needles

-for gravity experiments

-desk decoration

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I believe you got it correct, but the image is "upside down."

Reply to
Sam Soltan

Each of the last two sets of photos has had an item that has not been verified, but there have been numerous guesses. I would be interested to know what the individuals here think the solutions to these two might be so that I could post on the answer page the percentage or number of votes for the most popular.

436. Brass balls with rods and wood frame, please choose just one of the following:

  1. static electricity dischargers/electrical experiments

  1. puncture test tool
  2. grandfather's clock mechanism
  3. weights for the scales of justice
  4. durometer, used to measure hardness/tester for finding the hardness of optical pitch
  5. spindle for paper/note holder
  6. for making indentations in metal
  7. standard lightning rod balls and needles
  8. for gravity experiments
  9. desk decoration, no practical function for it

-----

-----

-----

Before you vote on the next one, please take a look at the close-up of it at the link below. It shows the bracket on the back, it looks like it could possibly be mounted on a beam or some other structure. Also note the small spring in the upper right that looks to serve as a cushion for the lever.

447.
A. caliper B. ice tongs C. hay bale lifter D. hook for small logs E. loose hay lifter F. clamping hook for pulling small stumps G. wire/rope puller for tightening bundles or bales

If you would like to participate, please email the votes to me.

Rob

R.H.

Still an open question: How do the upper ends of the needles/rods look like? Is there a hole or whatever?

And also please note: If you pull up the lever on the right, the thing will _open_. So if you want to lift something up, you would have to press it down. Not the most clever way, nor not? So this device is not for lifting anything. IMHO, if you want. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Sounds like a good possibility, someone posted a similar idea on my site:

"This is quite possibly a release mechanism for a drop door on an old farm dump wagon. The T like casting would be fastened to the side. The handle is offset to allow clearance for your hand when operating."

I'll have to do a some research on this.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I'll email the owner and ask him.

Good point, I'm starting to like the release mechanism idea more.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

What confuses me the most about that thing is: Where can you lift it. OK, there is the "release-lever", but not very solid. Between the two gears, there is some flat, that might have broken. But if this is where some kind of handle has been, it should point outwards not inwards. Or has this device been taken appart and back together wrong?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

You see what I saw...I gave it up as the images are too indistinct for my eyesight to really discern the mechanism clearly enough to decide what was what...

If one had it in ones' hands, all would probably come clear...then you could tell if something's broke and quite probably if it is incorrectly assembled.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Or a (bloodletting)lance. I have seen the same item advertised as both.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

For what I have in mind would be that the other holder cast plate is broken and missing that would be on the other side of the gear teeth. Wonder if the tongs cross each other and if there is a broken eyelet between the jog in the lever and the handle for the release rope to be pulled from above.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

But why the nice wood stand?

Maybe a store display for a place which sold such things?

And presented upside down to reduce the chances of ripping someone's clothes or flesh?

(It's hard for even me to believe what I just wrote.)

Without the spike parts I'd be tempted to say they had something to do with some very cold weather and two different size metallic monkeys. :-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

OK! You've done it now!

I know this trivia (being in the explosives industry), but most don't.

WHAT does it mean to "freeze the balls off a brass monkey"?

This sort of fits into the "What is it? LXXVII" series.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh