What is it? LXXXIII

A new set of photos has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

478 All purpose scout tool. Compass, signal mirror, etc. 479 ? 480 Grain cradle scythe. 481 You didn't include size, so . . . a wooden plate, or a cork from a jug of Maple Syrup. 482 ? 483 Pike pole? Used by "pond man" moving logs around in a sawmill pond.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

478 Looks like, in addition to the compass and mirror, it can be used as a sextant and altimeter. 479 Falconer's hood? 480 I agree. 481 Bowling pin, from above. 482 Whistle or kazoo? 483 I agree.
Reply to
Dale Scroggins

478 -- Mariners Compass 479 -- Falconer's Hood 480 -- Hay/Grain Rake 481 -- Bowling Pin Top down photo 482 -- Old Steamer? 483 -- Fishing Pike?
Reply to
bremen68

478 - Compass/solar clock? 480 - hay rake 481 - control on an old video game console? 483 - log hook used by log drivers building log booms
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

478 - Pocket transit, e.g.:
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons

Beat me to it by half an hour. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk
481 -- top view of a bowling pin

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
480: Cradle Scythe
Ice hook?

--humunculus

Reply to
humunculus
482: Top off on old pressure cooker?
Reply to
humunculus

Howdy!

478: a compass with extra bits for making more precise sightings 479: beats me 480: a scythe for cutting and gathering grain 481: bowling pin from the top 482: looks sort of like some sort of fluidics doohickey 483: tool for moving big chunks of ice around

yours, Michael

Reply to
Michael Houghton

481 is a bowling pin 483 looks like a hand-held climbing gaff?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

482. The oldest nebulizer head on the planet.
Reply to
axolotl

Obvious, now that all of you have pointed it out...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

According to R.H. :

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

478) Surveyor's compass. Originally carried by explorers from the UK, IIRC.

It has an ability built in to measure height (angle measurement and level) as well as to act as a compass.

I have an import copy of this, but yours looks like an original.

479) Hmm ... a very old infant's shoe?

480) Sythe with cradle to catch the wheat (or other grain) as it is cut.

481) Hmm ... no clue as to the size other than the texture of the carpet beneath it. Maple leaf logo. Could it perhaps be a curling stone? Or perhaps a hockey puck? Is that center part concave or convex?

482) Not really sure. Perhaps a water whistle, with the projection at the top being the mouthpiece?

483) Perhaps another of those precursors to a Peavy which were discussed previously? Something used in logging, at least?

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

When they are old enough to join the infantry?

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

And with his vorpal sword in hand, he went galumphing back. %-)

Thanks! :-) Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

Hey, I got one too!