What is it? Set 261

Just posted a new set of photos:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1477 Flare Gun 1479 shields for miniature tubes

Wes

Reply to
Wes
1477 Very Pistol... Flare Gun. Very is the inventor's name.

1477 A bunch of vacuum tube shields. In the age of pictureless TV (called radio) there were primitive thingies that did what those trivial parts of ICs called transistors now do. Each of the vacuum tubes was supposed to do its own thing, and to isolate each of them from the others, it was not uncommon to slip Faraday shield cans over them. The pile of parts in the picture are for late model vacuum tubes ('50s).

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

LET the games begin..

1477) It looks like a flare gun. Any other pictures to bring out more salient features?

1478) A holder for a cymbal for a marching band. The cymbal holder walks along beside the drummer trying not to look stupid while the drummer occasionally hits the cymbal.

1479) These look a bit like the little plastic plugs that go in the end of a ball point pen, but I guess that's not what they are. Shotgun shell lining?

1480) A saddle rack, for storing your saddle and bridle on the barn wall.

1481) This gets held by a string and swirled around in the air for some reason. The dangly part at the back has something to do with the reason.

1482) A display/storage case for something....the wooden pegs are too fragile for rigorous use, so something lightweight and able to retrieved delicately must have been used. Maybe to hold woolen mittens connected with a thread, or something? I look forward to finding out more.

OK. now to see how lucky my guesses were.

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus
1480 looks like an expendable temperature - depth probe. The ring is fastened to a deck mounted box with electrical connections, the "safety" clip is pulled and the probe is dropped overboard. The probe falls at terminal velocity and measures the sea temperature as a function of time = depth.
Reply to
joelblatt
1477 flare gun

1480 saddle/tack wall rack

1481 fishing downrigger weight. the little dingus at the rear is a line release.
Reply to
Bill Marrs
1477 flare gun 1479 Tube shields for vacuum tube auto radio 1484 Downrigger for deep water troll> Just posted a new set of photos:
Reply to
RoyJ
1482: Display rack for merchandising V-Belts

Carla I've been in more laps than a napkin.-- Mae West

Reply to
Carla Fong

1477: Looks too flimsy to be a real firearm. Not to mention the fat short barrel. Maybe a flare gun, but if so, why any sight at all? 1478: Possibly for some sort of specialty security fastener. 1479: Maybe the spent ammo for 1477...

1480: I think it's upside down.

1481: Sounding line weight?

1482: Well, obviously, it's for home AND farm. It's a display rack for some sort of merchandise, which would have hung on the hooks. Maybe the numbers refer to different sizes.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

On:

1477. Marine flare pistol 1479. vacuum tube shields 1481. deep sea fishing dart (line weight)
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Well, 1479 is a collection of valve (tube) shields

Reply to
Stuart

I think you called it out correctly. Been bugging me all day, I know I've seen these racks in my youth.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I've only got two more pictures of it, and they don't really show much more detail, although the second one below shows the maker and model number:

This is just a guess, but it looks like the barrel of the gun pivots around the pin just up and to the right from the trigger. To release the barrel, pull back on the knurled part at the top left above the hammer, and then insert a flare. I took the photos at an antique mall, but it's far from where I live, otherwise I'd go and take another look at it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Here's my guesses:

1477 - Even after enlarging the picture, it still looks like a little gun of unusually large bore. I'm guessing it's for firing distress flares from a ship, since it lacks any sort of aiming aids.

1478 - Perhaps this is a scraper (or holder for a scraper blade), such as for removing old paint from moldings. It does look vaguely familiar, but I don't know under what circumstances....

1479 - Shields for vacuum tubes, used both to keep them securely in place and to provide some RF isolation.

1480 - Equestrian saddle holder, to be bolted to a (sturdy) wall with the hook part down.

1481 - Buck Rogers window sash weight

1482 - Display stand for...ummm..maybe flat belts such as were used before Vee belts became popular on farm and home equipment?

Now to read other ideas...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

I wonder if the unusual trigger is to make it easier for a very cold man to fire, such as in a lifeboat in the North Atlantic.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Me, too. The numbers seem to be Gates numbers.

Built in a time when wood was cheaper than plastic.

Reply to
zyyzzy43

Or with thick gloves.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Good answer, this is correct, and the top of the display said Gates Belts, as posted by zyyzzy43.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I had loads at one time and it seemed to me most were Al. The only ones I've seen that weren't were on some Rhode and Schwartz kit.

Reply to
Stuart

1479 is the handle of a cabinet scraper. The scraper blade has a rectangular hole, fits between the large washers and is tightened down with the wing nut.

Kevin Gallimore

axolotl