WTB: M Head Fine Feed Handwheel

Anyone have a good fine feed handwheel for an M head or know where I can look? Thanks Marty Mesa, AZ

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

When I bought my M head from Sobel's, he had a big pile of handwheels of all flavors. He looked through it for a few moments and pulled one out of the stack.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

There's really nothing special about that wheel except for the crossways keyway in the end of the hub. Any-ol' wheel with about the right sized hub should serve with a bit of file work or a slotting bit run across the end. I think the only other thing I remember about that wheel is that it's quite light... maybe aluminum. I think that's to prevent it from overworking the feed from inertia if you give it too energetic a spin.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Y'know, almost as soon as I wrote that, I thought I remembered it backwards.

IIRC, there is almost nothing special about that wheel. I think the keyway is on the spindle, not the hub of the wheel. And the "key" is just a cross-pin in the hub. If that's the case, then almost any wheel with the right bore that will clear the rest of the head's parts should work with just the addition of a cross-bore hole and pin.

I think....

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh