Kinda' OT: good deal on lye

The use of lye as a paint stripper has been discussed here, so this post is not too far OT.

Essential Depot has lye on sale for $1.99/ 2 lb bottle (through Friday). That is a great price. But the shipping is not so great: $19 for 5 bottles (10 lbs). But there is a 20% off shipping promo ("SHIP20"). Bottom line: $25 for 10 lbs - can't be beat.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Great paint stripper & degreaser, but be VERY careful not to get it in your eyes - pretty much permanent blindness when mixed up at paint stripping concentration.

Reply to
Dennis

I agree with that! Full face shield, long rubber gloves, etc.

I use it to strip cast iron radiators by dipping them. I maneuver them in & out with an engine hoist and it's really scary thinking about what would happen if a radiator broke loose and fell into the lye.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I stripped the grease & paint from a car chassis prior to rebuilding, it did a great job.

I also used it to etch some 3mm x 10mm flat aluminum bar brackets prior to painting. I forgot about some & by the next day they had literally dissolved with only a few lumps remaining. I was quite surprised.

Reply to
Dennis