end mill holder accuracy

This all revolves around a Sherline mill, so it's tiny.

Mine came with some small collets and a 3/8" endmill holder that threads onto the spindle with a 3/4-16 thread.

The holder itself is just a threaded cylinder with a 3/8" bore, grub screw and holes for the tommy bars to tighten it onto the spindle, which also has a hole drilled though it for another tommy bar. No wrenches or anything like that are needed.

These were all made by Sherline and run true, no matter how I measure it. The OD of the holder wobbles less than 0.001 and if I try to measure the

3/8" bore with an indicator on the shank of tightest endmill, it's barely wiggles the indicator pointer. This matches on the lathe or mill, so it's pretty consistent that is all lines up.

Good stuff.

I just got some "A2Z CNC" stuff which as far as I can tell, is just junk. I have a quick change tool post from them which is iffy as well. It shipped with the wrong length screw, and the tool holders are quasi threaded through, where you need to chase the treads with a full out handle hex driver for the first use. It's just cosmetic, but a couple have that made from the end of a piece barstock look.

Both of the A2Z endmills holders wobble about 0.005" or more. The runout is clearly visible. The OD is better, but the bore is not concentric at all.

The threads are loose and the things wobble around on the spindle thread until you tighten them down. The Sherline holder has a firm fit, but never grabs or jams up.

One has deeper threads than the other too.

Anyways, this stuff is going back since it seems useless if it can't even match the accuracy of a drill chuck.

The question is are there rules of thumb for how much runout is acceptable for a small machine like this?

On another rant, I have a new no counry of origin marked 1/4" Jacobs drill chuck. It's horrible as well, it feels rough and can't be broken in. I'm guessing it's chinese and can't even be opened to polish the rough parts.

Every Rohm chuck I have is from and seems like a German machined product.

I have a real small 5/32 Yukiwa chuck which is also really nice.

Are all Jacobs drill chucks junk now?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Quality has to be assessed on an item by item basis, you can no make generalizations based on brand or country of origin. The drill chuck with R8 shank that came with my Harbor Freight mini mill (Seig X2) is great and compares well with another Yuasa one I have.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have yet to see marketing folks try to be clever and say stuff like

"we moved production to China to increase quality. QC staff are cheaper there and you get better products at a better price".

This A2Z atuff is alleged to be made in the USA, but is junk. It's possible Prison Factory #44 would do a better job.

In this examle they might want to consider offshoring.

If you can come up with examples if stuff moving to china and the quality going up, they'd be fun to hear.

My only anecdote is ThinkPad laptops from IBM. They went from US to Mexico and to China, and the quality of what was build never dropped, but the designs started to get cheaper and sucking due to that alone.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Thanks for that input. I emailed some time back and asked if they'd considered making holders for DA or small ER collets. They hadn't but thought it interesting. I'll be wary of buying if they do, maybe buy one first to check it out. If I ever get my shop built back up once down under, that's something I'd thought about making. (DA/ER holders)

Depends what you are doing, but less is better. I have several such Sherline holders, including some 1/8" that at the time, was a custom order. All have detectable slop, though I've never bothered to measure. It's not much, and I generally stick to 2 flute mills, and set the corners 90 degrees to the set screw to minimize runout.

Why are you associating a name brand like Jacobs with a no-name junk chuck? I've got a couple keyless Albrecht -type- chucks I'm sure were made in China, brand name "Golden Goose". They are not Albrecht in quality, but more than good enough. (Also have a nice set of Albrecht chucks from zero to 1/2" capacity...)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

well, I've seen the old Jacobs chucks and I have a new one. The new one works, but feels like something from a $10 power tool. I can't imagine mine is a fluke.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Counterfeit perhaps?

Reply to
Pete C.

Ok, I missed that somewhere. Yeah, most anything new isn't going to have the fit and finish of something made 20 years ago...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

it's from sherline, not ebay, and works as it should, but it's no gem by any means.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Machine size does not matter.

The smaller the end mill diameter, the more important it becomes to minimize runout.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Works well with reamers but not so sure end mills stay put.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

What amount of run out would have you worried for what you do?

I'd assume that wobble with an endmill would make wavy patters in addition to wearing one or more flutes and just letting the others rub.

Also, is there any reason NOT to use a lathe chuck in a mill as a chuck for larger drill bits?

I had to drill 5/8" holes in Al plate and got a 5/8 bit with a 1/2 shank, but had no 1/2 drill chuck so I moved the lathe chuck into the mill and used that.

Of course, it spun out a few times leaving drag marks on the drill bit, but is doing this more dangerous in that you may launch a drill bit by into your chest or something like that?

It doesn't seem like you're going to kill yourself with sherline, but I'd rather not take up bad habits.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

What is meant by tap the end mill?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

As I said earlier, depends on the diameter of the end mill....

With a 1.00 inch endmil 4 flute, in wraught aluminum, you're going to have a chip load per tooth of about .025...so for example 5 thou TIR would be no problem whatsoever, one tooth gets loaded by an additional

20% while the other tooth takes 20% less load, and the other two teeth take full load, .025 chip thickness...

But with a .093 end mill, you'll be running with a chip load per tooth of about .0003....so what happens here is with .0003 runout, a single tooth ends up taking the entire load.....in other words, once per revolution, you are subjecting the cutting tool to 4 times the stress and so depending on the work and cutter material, you'll either experience breakage or rapid dulling, perhaps both.

I guess as long as the bearings can handle it then it shouldn't be a problem with the sherline/ taig stuff--I'm assuming that their mill and lathe spindles are of identical construiction.

You might want to use drills that have 3 flats ground onto the shanks to prevent slippage if you do this again...

I think you're worrying too much--a 4in diameter chuck at 2400 rpm calculates out to a surface speed of about 2500 feet per minute which only equals about 28 miles per hour so while it might smart a bit it's probably not going to do much serious bodily damage if a hss drill bit simply gets slung sideways out of the chuck.

On the other hand, from what I understand, carbide fragments can and sometimes do attain fairly high velocities when the compressive limit is exceeded--I don't have any figures available and no time to look into it but if I recall correctly, they can approach the muzzle speed of small arms fire, small particles imbedding themselves fairly deeply into the skin under "optimum" conditions...

BTW, my youngest son has a Taig, he's converted it to full cnc but he's kind of regretting having gone this route...pretty sure he's going to buy a cast iron table from Grizzly as a "replacement part" and use it as the main base for a double column gantry mill with R8 spindle...

Similar to this, only table top sized:

_milling.jpg

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

You get a soft piece of brass or lead and you tap on the end mill where the dial indicator shows the runout to be high. This maybe in several places. You keep doing this till you have the least runout possible. It's a very common procedure in machining jobs shops where you have tooling that's been used and abused. Would you like me to see if I can find a video for you that will walk you though the procedure?

-----------

For a Sherline, probably a short piece of 3/16 diameter brass rod and a jewelers hammer would be about right.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

jewelers hammer would be about right.

ok I know what you mean. I've been tapping on stuff to get in to seat right in the lathe chuck. Soft stuff seems to get pinched between two of the three jaws or just lines up in off angles if you just start to clamp down on it.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

They make those, as well as higher quality chucks. A look at their website will show you both.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell