Question about diaphragm pumps

I have a question, I have a diaphragm pump here and I have never used one before. When I supply air to this particular one, it seems to work internally, but there is barely any suction or pressure on either end. Maybe just a tiny amount of suction.

I thought that they can run dry and do not need priming.

What should I expect from a good diaphragm pump?

Ignoramus19459

Likely to be worn or sticking valves. Unless the diaphragm has a hole in it :-(

Reply to
J.B.Slocomb

OK, I spent a lot of time with that pump. Took it apart. The valve balls are there. The membranes are in good condition. After disassebmly and reassembly, it does pump water very well.

Then I tried pumping old coolant from a machine into a barrel. It worked great, then got somehow stuck and did not pump, despite reciprocating. I assumed that the plastic balls got stuck, shook it a bit, and then got them unstuck.

Someone told me that if I buy PTFE (Teflon) balls, they would be lesslikely to get stuck. They are not that expensive and I wanted to double check if that advice makes sense to you.

Thanks

Ignoramus17560

One assumes you did put a fine..fine screen on the input side..right?

If not..nothing is going to help

Gunner, who has pulled chips out of a 1000 pumps

Reply to
Gunner Asch

It may have something keeping a valve open, a bad valve or a bad diaphram. Three very common problems.

Reply to
PopPop