Gear/steering pumps

I want to build up several gear pumps for pumping oil. I figure that getting steering pumps from an auto junk yard will be the cheapest route.

I wonder what vehicle may have the highest flow pump. Should I just consider that the larger the vehicle, the faster the flow rate?

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
jusme

"jusme" fired this volley in news:1ks2jg.mn2.19.1 @news.alt.net:

Actually, translate that just a bit from "largest" to "heaviest".

Heavy vehicles normally require large steering forces for the large (lots of contact area) tires they have to twist to and fro.

But you might be surprised at the 3600rpm output of a simple passenger car pump.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Volume and pressure you expect pump at would be a fairly useful set of parameters to specify. Likely even vital.

WEs

Reply to
Wes

Get one from an older Chevy/GMC V8 Diesel. The pump has to run everything, including the power brakes. There is no vacuum on the Diesel.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

You say "pumping oil", as opposed to "putting oil under pressure". It would make a big difference it you comment on the pressure you NEED and the flow in gpm that you want. Also, is the oil clean or not? I don't think power steering pumps like dirty oil. Are you "building up" several separate systems or do you want several pumps just to get to some particular volume? IIRC, many power steering pumps only deliver somewhere in the range of 2-4 gpm, but at 1000 psi or more.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

jusme wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Well, guys, I just want to empty 55 gallon barrels of oil as soon as possible cheaply.

I want to build up 2 to 4 of these things. Oil will be dirty. Actually, it is wvo.

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
jusme

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:52:17 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "jusme" quickly quoth:

If they're dual-capped barrels, perhaps you could pressurize the small hole with air and pipe the large outlet for a quick and dirty emptying for a lot less cost than pumps. Heat 'em for quicker emptying yet. Storage in a black-painted (solar heated) building would get you the heat free.

Here's another way, but it ain't cheap:

Larry Jaques

Good, but be sure to use a regulator and keep the pressure reasonable so you don't ruin the drums. Might even work with an open end barrel if you have a good sealing clamp-on top.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

RLM

Good idea, Lloyd.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Not so, Larry.....open.

Can't use vacuum either.

J/b

Reply to
jusme

Got one, Rlm....won't work.....oil too viscous.

j/b

jusme

Get thee a barrel heater. Looks like a steel belt to wrap around the drum. 110v plug in.

Warm oil flows better.

Once the oil is warm, the pumps available cheap, should deal with it quite well.

'Course, you could resort to the tried, true, low tech method that has worked through the ages. Put the drum on a dolly, lay it sideways, and dispense the oil into buckets.

Cheers Trevor aJones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Seems like you are seriously screwed!

Reply to
cavalamb himself

That's the same pump as on the gas engines, just has an extra return fitting.

Reply to
JohnM

spaco fired this volley in news:yLSdnfB8i5W58i7anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

No gear pump likes dirty oil, but if this is a zero-pressure use, then gear or rotor wear won't significantly affect the volume the pump can move.

High pressure-Low bypass pump performance is predicated on precision fits, which will go away quickly in the presence of dirt. But low bypass is not necessary except at pressure. You could still move a lot of oil with several thousanths of excess clearance in the elements.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:29:41 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "jusme" quickly quoth:

Aw, shit. Just puncture the bottom and let 'em drain. Use the money for REAL drums next time. ;) -- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:29:41 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "jusme" quickly quoth:

Why not save time and money? Make or buy an inexpensive drum tilt truck, and just _drain_ them through the top?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Figure 3 psi max. Makes for really slow pumping of thick oils (BTDT).

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Why not?

I can tell you from experience that a good vacuum rig is the way to go. I don't do WVO but I do use waste engine oil to heat my shop. I tried several different type's of pumps then I finally made me a vacuum trailer. Night and day difference. I can pump 200 gallons of waste oil out of any container I want to in less than 20 minutes with a old wore out engine.

BTW everybody keeps talking about power steering pumps being gear pumps. They're not. Instead they're vane pumps and they don't take kindly to dirt or any type of contamination. A actual gear pump is much more tolerant of contamination than a vane pump.

Reply to
Wayne Cook