Gear/steering pumps

In that case, a PS pump might not work either. ATF/ PS fluid is light oil, much lighter than cold vegetable oil. For that matter, they are vane pumps, not gear pumps. Maybe you need a belt-driven engine oil pump?

Someone suggested a 110V drum heater. I bet that would be at odds with the "quick" part of the specification.

jusme wrote:

Rex

And by the way, the best solution might be one of the stackable dry sump pumps as used on race engines. A new one is out of the "cheap" category, but a scored discard would suit your purposes.

As for dirty oil scor> In that case, a PS pump might not work either. ATF/ PS fluid is light

Rex

Reply to
RoyJ

Wayne,

This has to be small and portable and temporarily fit in the bed of a pickup.

Also, I didn't know that about p.s. pumps being vane pumps. I have a defective one and I will take it apart.

So, what do I look for for junked or surplus gear pumps?

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
jusme

These are barrels located at restaurants and some are not even round barrels but square containers.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Rex, wouldn't an engine oil pump be too slow?

jusme

Rex,

I want to build several of these and while I may be able to find one scored sump pump, I need to find first a type of pump and secondly, a source.

j/b

jusme

Looks like a good pump, Roy, but too expensive for 3 or more of these things.

My criteria is hurting me or, rather, my pocketbook.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

For your application a bronze gear pump is what you really need (It will put up with running dry better than the steel hydraulic pumps). But surplus is hard to find. My first one was one I found in a scrap pile. One of the gears was split but I pinned it and run it straight from a 2HP electric motor. Once I got it primed (I had a funnel on top of a valve to prime it) it would pump great. However it took way to much electricity to run in the field (I've got 20 amp outlets in the shop so it would run here). It was also very noisy from the speed and broken gear. I next scrounged a smaller one already belt driven with a smaller motor which worked well but was messy dealing with the hoses. I tried the air pressure thing but modern 55 gallon barrels are to thin for it to be effective. By then I had scrounged up enough stuff to make my trailer so for a relatively small investment I managed to make a rig that I can cost effectively get a real amount of oil with.

Page 318 on McMasters web site is the type pump you need.

Good luck scrounging one. It's possible but they're rare.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Yes, but see my later post about the stackable pumps used in racing engines. I think one that is no longer suitable for a racing application could be had cheap or free from a race shop. If you need more volume, you just stack another housing and rotor. Runs off a small cogged/gilmer belt. Now that I think about it, you might want the scavenge side of that pump. They may be made a little differently so as to provide suck instead of blow. Or not. Maybe one of the race engine guys can answer that.

Rex

Reply to
RoyJ

How about a cheap plastic drill-powered water pump?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Wayne, I forgot to say that it needs to be self-priming.

I may have made an ASSumption ass of myself as I have a pump that meets my requirements perfectly and I *assumed* that it is a gear-pump. I need to break it down to find out. I bought it used, online.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Gear pumps can be self priming to a certain extent when new but generally should be at least wet with oil at the start. But when they have some wear they will have to be primed. I can think of only a few true self priming pumps capable of priming such a thick liquid. However most are not really suitable to your use. One that does come to mind as a possibility is a air powered diaphragm pump. I believe you can get them in other than air powered as well. Try starting at page 314 on McMasters web site.

Wayne Cook

Air-powered kills it for me, Wayne.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Rex,

I may be lucky enough to find one but never in any small quantity. Thanks for the idea.

j/b

jusme

Roy,

I have been trying craigslist. I am tenacious and will come across one or so -hopefully.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

How about a hand powered bilge pump? For about $50 you should be able to get one that can do 8-12gal/minute.

Reply to
jim

If you will pump it all day for me, Jim.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Which is why I said look at the page. They have a hand operated as well as motor operated units.

Reply to
Wayne Cook