Gear/steering pumps

At roughly 5 minutes per barrel hand pumping shouldn't be a problem unless you have a large quantity of drums to empty. In which case you might want to consider renting a powered "mud pump" for a day or two.

Reply to
Jim Levie

Jim,

I think that I will stay with my original post/request.

Thanks

Reply to
jusme

Wayne,

I am trying to 'cheap out' on this and, importantly, this is an on-going thing, not just a temporary requirement.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Ok--so you want to pump junk oil out of an open topped barrel. You want to do it with a unit that's portable, and doesn't cost much. What about an oil pump? Any large engine rebuilders close? Get a junk oil pump from a truck engine, Craft a metal mount/coupling/hose connections to whatever power source you have. The pumps are made to pump---dirty oil.

Reply to
BillM

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 05:13:18 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "BillM" quickly quoth:

Good call. Performance oil pump from a race car or truck engine.

And if the drums are all the same size, build in a mount which hangs the pump down to the bottom of the tank and extend it with a long shaft (or pipe welded to a sectioned shaft.) Mount a salvage DC motor on top to drive it and run a hose from the pump to wherever. Drop it into a drum, drop the hose in the receiving tank, hook the motor up to the truck (or spare) battery, switch it on (no sparks around the hydrogen from the battery, please) and relax while it works.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I just posted the catalog pages so you can see what's out there and figure out what kind of pump you want. Finding a cheap source for them is up to you.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Gotcha, Wayne.

Will look at it and learn more.