Lovejoy or spider couplings cheap?

I am wanting to build up a stock of these couplings for shafts not over 1" . I just want to have some on the shelf for when I want to build something. The problem is that new, they are expensive for a bunch of them.

I've checked McMaster and Ebay but still, for a number of them, they are expensive.

Any ideas for cheap other than make them? Hose and clamps may work for very small stuff.

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Not sure what you consider "cheap" as far as prices go, but we grab 'em from a source that gives us OEM pricing... Otherwise, if I'm in a rush, McMaster is where I go and I eat the costs...

I'll try to find the name of that company in case you can buy direct...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

For those wanting to see what these parts are, visit the McMaster.com site and try:

6408K164 6408K77 6408K284

Those are the only parts *I* use, but they have some other sizes I'm guessing...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Looking forward to it, Joe.

Thanks.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

"jusme" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

A Lovejoy coupling is about the least expensive item you'll ever buy, at least in terms of maintenance life. They damned near last forever, and work exactly and wonderfully like the should.

Don't skimp on the important stuff. Tiny shaft misalignments will kill the best of pumps, and ain't too good for motors, either.

OTOH, even a cheaply made pump will last a good long time with a proper coupling/isolator.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Sorry, can't help plugging where my sister and brother-in-law work.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Wes,

I had tried them before your plug but could never find any prices from them or their distributors.

Thanks.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Try Boston Gear. You can download their catalogs (pdf). They have a same day shipping policy and they are very reasonable. You cannot order directly from Boston Gear, but you can find a distributor. They will custom make whatever you want, but not overnight. Stick to stock items in your designs if possible. Why stock it when these folks support a just in time supply? Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Howdy j/b,

I've found, over my years in a machinery manufacturer's service department, the item which wears-out is not the body of the coupling, but the rubber/neoprene "spider" which sits between the two coupling bodies.

It's much easier to change the spider (usually) than it is to replace the entire coupling.

We would stock these "spiders" and make them available to our customers.

I'd suggest you stock-up on these.

If you were adventurous you might try cutting your own out of a suitable grade (and thickness, of course) of neoprene.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Thanks, Steve. I will give them a try.

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Good info but I need the couplings. Once I get them, I will make some spare spiders.

j/b

Howdy j/b,

I've found, over my years in a machinery manufacturer's service department, the item which wears-out is not the body of the coupling, but the rubber/neoprene "spider" which sits between the two coupling bodies.

It's much easier to change the spider (usually) than it is to replace the entire coupling.

We would stock these "spiders" and make them available to our customers.

I'd suggest you stock-up on these.

If you were adventurous you might try cutting your own out of a suitable grade (and thickness, of course) of neoprene.

dennis in nca

Reply to
jusme

Farm supply.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Carl,

We have several Tractor's Supply companies in the area, they may have cheapos but I doubt it. I will try.

Thanks

j/b

Reply to
jusme

Have you tried your local bearing supply store - Motion Industries, Applied Industrial Technologies, Kaman etc?

Reply to
REMOVE