4140 internal stresses

I just got to wondering about internal stresses in 4140 round stock . I'm making a part for an oilless compressor , and have it roughed a bit oversize . I know that some steels develop internal stress from forming operations , and need a few hours to let the stresses equalize before finishing machining so the finished part doesn't distort . Got to wondering if 4140 is one of them .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It is generally accepted that all parts have stress, the result of the manufacturing procedure, as you alluded. Hot rolled materials tend to have much less.

Good shop practice dictates that one roughs parts, leaving sufficient material for finish machining, with total cleanup. The less material remaining, the better, as the piece will more closely represent the finished object, and the small amount of material removed in the process should make very little difference in movement of the part. I expect that unless you have a very critical dimension, less than .0002" tolerance, you should be fine.

Nice job. I spend a lot of my time trying to have folks understand that roughing is a very important part of machining. Some don't pay attention (until they have the pleasure of reviewing the resulting scrap, anyway).

Time can be a factor, but the roughing should release much of the stress. If you have doubts, allow the part to age a day.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I backed off the chuck jaws a tad before I came in , rechucked it after a couple of hours . After recentering it I found about .002 runout on the last area I'd machined . Looks like it might have had a bit of stress . I'll finish it up today .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

We call it "Roomalizing"!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Speaking of which, would you have a piece of 4140 that is 6" x 2" x 3/4" or thereabouts that you could sell?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nope , all I have is rounds in 1.250 and 1.5"

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" wrote>

Shirley I do . More knowledge is always a good thing .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Thanks anyway. I need to make an arm that holds a carbide square like an arm on a pair of scissors. The current one is cold-roll and is flexing too muck under pressure. Ya' think 4140 would be a better choice?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Probably not. The modulus of elasticity will be the some. The yield will go up, so it will bend farther before it takes a set, but it will flex just as far with the same load. Redesign the part to have more meat in it.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

The flexing -- that is, the spring rate without taking a set -- is the same for all grades on steel, within a couple of percent. More correctly, they all have about the same Young's Modulus, and it doesn't matter how they're heat treated or work-hardened. The modulus will be the same.

That is, except for stainless, which is a little springier (lower Young's Modulus).

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I was afraid of that but I can add 20%-25% where it counts. What about hard D-2?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

My cousin told me that, I was hoping he was wrong. I could make it out of Ti and/or go from 5/8" to 3/4" or a scooch more.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Not titanium! It's MUCH springier than steel. The Young's modulus for steel runs around 30 (don't worry about the units). For titanium, it's around 16 -- about the same as gray cast iron (14) . Aluminum is around 10.

Tungsten is a little over 60. Tungsten carbide is close to 70.

On the other hand, stiffness is a function of the *cube* of thickness (called "plate stiffness"). So making your part a little thicker will improve its stiffness by a lot more than you might think.

In your example of going from 5/8 to 3/4, the part would be 1.2 times thicker but 1.73 times stiffer.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Tom Gardner wrote in news:meidnU-ZdcGZqffMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'm a little rusty on this stuff, but for a simple rectangular bar, I believe the stiffness goes up as the cube of the dimension. You shouldn't have to add much to make it significantly stiffer. 5/8" to

3/4" would almost double the stiffness (halve the deflection). Adding a rib could do a lot, if there is room.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

A rib, or better yet use U-Channel so the face and stiffening ribs are all one integral piece, and a chunk of thick bar at the top to bolt your inserts to - go as physically big as you can. Modify the machine to make room if need be.

If this is one of those gidges you have mentioned in the past where you're using the carbide inserts as a hard-faced guillotine and anvil-blade to chop wire to length, don't count on the machine and mount rigidity to keep it aligned...

I'd have a finger from the upper jaw extend below the lower jaw where they overlap, and a few roller bearings with a fine-threaded gap adjusting method. And a jam nut to keep it there.

Physically keep the upper and lower blades from crashing, even if the machine gets out of alignment.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

That'll do. The part's 10 years old but the new wire it cuts is higher tensile.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Room for another 1/8", 5/8" to 3/4". Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yep, you must have seen it! The cutter uses a 1" shaft riding in Timkin tapered roller bearings that this arm is attached. I use 3/4" square x

1/4" thick, coated HSS inserts. I've tried every grade of carbide, even custom made they get tiny chips and and they all self destruct in very short order. The HSS works great and they are only $5 and I get 8 cutting edges on each.

I think the arm sometimes gets too much pre-load pressure from the mechanism that tightens the stationary blade. It gets readjusted every time we do a blade change.

Reply to
Tom Gardner