What is it? Set 554

I need some help with 3236 and 3237 in this set:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
3235 Guess... An inside measuring vernier [type] caliper, to measure some inside dimension between the probe on the right of the upper slide and the anvil on the right in the first picture.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
3237 A merchant's measuring scoop, let me guess; for measuring some spice sold by volume.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
3238 Guess... A grounding [earthing] spike, clamp cable into tabs at the right.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Reply to
Leon

Alexander Thesoso fired this volley in news:lq87pg$nbn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Your description is essentially correct, but it's not for providing the ground, but rather is called a "lightning rod"-- actually to provide a preferential strike point for lightning. The saddle nails to a roof ridge. The rest is as you said.

They're dangerous as Hell, producing a greater tendency for strikes than without them. Safer, and less strike-inducing are corona brushes, which you'll find on any modern installation. They rapidly dissipate accumulated charges without inducing a direct strike.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I need some help with 3236 and 3237 in this set:

Larger images:

Rob

3239 - Slide hammer bearing puller, and a "pickle fork" tie rod separator.

(I'll be everyone in this group will get that one.)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Look at the left one again , it's designed for pushing , not pulling , from the look of that ridge up by the handle . Having just replaced my ball joints , I'm thinking that tool is for installing them .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That could be right but I never have seen one for doing that. I worked around automotive shops for 20 years. Generally an impact wrench on the bolt and or nut would seat bushings or ball joints and or tie rod ends. A zip gun/ air chisel was generally used to remove A frame bushings. Perhaps the left tool is for the seating the bushings rather than ball joints.

Reply to
Leon

We ended up pushing the bushings in with a 12 ton hydraulic press , and that was a b**ch , I don't think any kind of hammer device would work . Lower BJ's were installed using a made-for-that tool and an air impact wrench , but I think a device like that one would also work to hammer them in . These were on a 28 yr old truck , and to get the old bushings out we had to "shrink" them with an air chisel , and burn the rubber out of some to get at the center sleeve .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It is a simple slide hammer. The fixture on the end is for a 2 jaw puller attachment. The cone shaped piece has a convex taper to one side and a concave one on the other. When used with the jaws it clamps the jaws in whichever direction needed. I have the same on in a case in the shop.

this is it's cousin.

The pickle fork is correct though.

Reply to
Steve W.

Here, I'll even write the subject line for you to make it easy. Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stop being an asshole.

Reply to
Steve W.

Answers for 533 you idiot, took all of 10 seconds to find.

Thanks! That really nails this one down, I'll send your link to the owner.

Still no solid answers for the last two in this set but the rest have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Steve W.

"Ed Huntress" wrote in news:bXNxv.20559$ snipped-for-privacy@fx11.iad:

Baxter

Thanks, buddy. You're so kind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Both are correct though I'll have to take your word on the pulling bearings and bushes on the slide hammer.

Reply to
Rob H.

You are right about it being an inside caliper, this device is for a very particular purpose.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't know for sure but think this is correct, I will email the owner and ask how many cups it holds.

Reply to
Rob H.

This guess is not correct but is on the right track.

Reply to
Rob H.