What is it? Set 552

This week I need some help with 3223, 3227, and 3228:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
3226 - A ballot box?

3228 - A trowel used for spreading a measured layer of adhesive over a flat surface, e.g. for tiling a floor. Each notch leaves a consistently sized triangular ridge of adhesive, and then the ridges are flattened into a smooth layer as the tiles are laid.

Reply to
Mark Brader
3225 is a mainspring compressor for an old weapon (like a musket or trapdoor springfield) with a long vee shaped mainspring. It allows you to disassemble the weapon without risking breakage of this spring.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I can't know for sure, but I'll bet 3223 is a crank for turning an engine slightly when trying to insert a tranny shaft into the clutch spline. Looks like it goes in where the starter would, and allows you to just 'tweak' the engine to a new position. It's probably for a _specific_ engine, so was likely a 'factory' tool.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I was thinking the same thing , but I suspect the round part goes in one of the bell housing bolt holes from the tranny side . Could be as you say used to turn the crankshaft , but for instance to set each crank throw in position to bolt on the con rod caps .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

For 3226 I'm going to guess it's an early torpedo. I read about these in the "The age of fighting sail" about the war of 1812. Load up a barrel with gun power and a slow match. Two row boats would then tow it behind them and try and crash it into an enemy ship. (Or something like that.)

George H.

Reply to
ggherold
3223: timing adjuster tool (for a magneto-type auto engine?)

3224: some kind of s a needle-poke-to-depth apparatus; maybe a wire-insulation thickness tester?

3227: a stove lid lifter

3228: upholsterer's fabric stretcher?

Reply to
whit3rd

Nope

I'm still not sure about this one

Reply to
Rob H.

The tags didn't have any information other than the owner's name, the photos were from a tool collectors meeting.

There weren't any sockets but I'm sure it's possible that something could be missing from this one.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct!

Reply to
Rob H.

Sounds reasonable but I'm still looking for a good reference for this tool.

Reply to
Rob H.

I'd guess some sort of weaponry from wooden ship days - perhaps about the Civil War

Reply to
Baxter

It looks like it would do a good job of swirl texture on a ceiling ... Lay on the mud with a trowel and make J motions with the tool .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I concur with this , I had a similar tool for hand cranking diesel engines around to the timing marks when adjusting valves and doing tune ups. I fits in the fly wheel housing and engages with the gear teeth on the fly wheel . Caterpillar engines usually have an opening on left and right sides of the fly wheel housing where the starter goes , these tools go in the starter mount thats not being used by the starter

Reply to
Bluey69

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3223) A tool for fine adjusting of something which has a ring gear on the outside for that purpose. The projecting part is placed into a hole adjacent to the gear, and pushed down until the pinion gear on the tool engages the ring gear, and then the lever is used to rotate that object.

There appears to be a ball detent to hold it in place suggesting that it is used either horizontally or with the projecting part pointing up.

Exactly what it is used to adjust is hard to say without knowing where it came from. :-)

3224) A micrometer for measuring the diameter of a hole through a round shaft. The V's are placed on the shaft, with the cone projecting into the hole, with the thimble turned until the cone contacts the hole firmly on all sides. Then the reading it taken from the thimble of the micrometer -- and perhaps also from graduations on the rod (if any) sticking out the other end. 3225) A tool either for bending a small flat spring, or for compressing it to ease installation into whatever it goes in. 3226) A naval mine from (I think) the civil war period, based on the sparsity of stars on the flags. None are shown completely, so I can't be sure how many are present. 3227) Not really sure what it is -- but the ventilated handle suggests that it is used to deal with hot objects. Perhaps for smoothing down a hot-glue joint? 3228) This looks like it is intended for spreading a fairly viscous glue to form into a number of parallel beads which will then spread out and join when the other piece is placed on top of the glue.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

3224 is amicrometer for measuring groove or key way depth in round bars or similar . The base of the micrometer has a vee groove to center it on a round part . 3226 a civil war floating mine made from a powder barrel
Reply to
Bluey69

or a naval mine.

Reply to
phorbin

I took the photos at an American history auction, the flags are not necessarily from the same time as torpedo, but you are right about it being from the civil war.

Reply to
Rob H.

I was also thinking that this tool was for lifting or levering something, but it seems home made based on the weld and the lower bolt looking like it would interfere with getting a good grip on the handle.

So far I only have three answers for this set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.