What is it? Set 476

I need some help with the fourth one this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Alexander Thesoso

2767 Used to chip stone or tile

2768 stone flywheel off the flintstone car

2769 Mtm Shooting Rest

2770 Looks like a trigger and site practice tool

2771 lamp Shade

2772 Mini Keg

Robert

Reply to
Robert

The sight notch, mirror and "plumb bob" of the "pistol" seem to be designed to allow the user to be sure he is holding it level front to back and side to side. What the trigger does is anyone's guess, although it looks like it is a release of some sort for some removable part that is not shown.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

2770. What our guns will look like if the ridiculous gun laws out law having guns. The gun laws of course will have no effect on criminals because gun laws don't protect the innocent.
Reply to
Leon

2768 Millstone

2772 Keg for black powder

Reply to
joeljcarver

2770 Brevet makes watches. I suspect it may be a Ruby setting device.
Reply to
willshak
2767: battery terminal pliers
Reply to
walkerk

The museum didn't specify exactly what it was for but millstone is certainly correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct

Sounds like a good idea but I sure can't find another one like it on the web.

Reply to
Rob H.

Brevet is also the Swiss word for Patent.

Reply to
Steve W.

Brevet is also the French word for patent, so I don't know if the word on this tool is a company name or if it's just saying that the tool is patented.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, you nailed it.

Reply to
Rob H.

34" would be about right for a small water powered mill. That one looks in very good shape as well.
Reply to
Steve W.

It's looks really light, or almost worn out from use and resharpening. I suspect it was animal powered.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn
2767 molar extractor for elephant vets. 2768 millstone, for grinding African wheat. 2769 elevating baby scale for pediatricians. 2770 not sure what it is, but I hope the owner has a permit for that. 2771 base for an oil lamp. That, or a lamp globe. 2772 head for old wooden mallet.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good timing on our posts. :-) I think the logo might be the key to solving this one but I haven't had any luck yet in connecting it to a company. The two knobs under the mirror look like they could be for resting this device on a flat surface but for what purpose I don't know.

Reply to
Rob H.

The combination of the two knobs and the knob on the plunger could have held a cylinder in position and then the trigger pull would allow it to drop. The mirror would allow the operator to get all things aligned and then pull the trigger.

What was being done, I have no clue!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I like the idea of it holding a cylinder, but I also can't think of a reason for it.

Reply to
Rob H.

2767) Hmmm ... I wonder whether this is some form of sliding joint pliers, or a fixed pivot?

If the latter, it is for gripping and removing something of a specific size.

If the former it can be adjusted down to quite small things, and the fixed blade could cut something quite close to the surface, so it might be for cutting off projecting nail heads. (That groove in the moving jaw has to be to clear something, but I don't know what.

2768) This is a millstone. I believe that it is the fixed lower stone with the channels designed to guide the ground grain through the center hole.

The driven upper stone should have a square or otherwise keyed hole to allow it to be driven by the mechanism -- usually a water wheel.

2769) This looks like a support for benchrest firing of a rifle to allow aiming and firing the rifle without muscular vibrations influencing the aim point. The forestock rests on the 'Y' with the adjustable height screw, and the handgrip on the padded platform behind it. It is adjusted to put the height of the aim point where you want it, and then the rifle is slid around until the lateral point of aim is also where you want it, and then the trigger is very gently squeezed until it fires.

2770) This is an interesting object. It bends the point of aim downward (with the mirror). I'm not sure whether that is a half-silvered mirror, and thus allows you to see something in line with the frame or not.

At a guess -- it is captive on some kind of video shooting game, or perhaps a psychologist's test apparatus.

However -- I don't see that the trigger actually does anything, unless there is something missing -- perhaps part of the frame to which it is attached by the vertical wand.

2771) Looks sort of like the fuel reservoir for an oil lamp, missing whatever should hold the wick.

2772) Hammer head for a carnival "ring the bell and win a prize" game? I don't know whether the other face is better for striking than the visible one. But it looks too lightweight to do anything serious with.

Or could it be a dispenser for something like Bingo balls or some other form of game token.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols