What is it? Set 476

The small "family" mills around here ran stones about that size. They didn't run huge wheels so the smaller stones worked better.

Reply to
Steve W.

My best guess is that 2770 is a device for training to use a crossbow pistol. The Swiss are big into crossbows. By keeping the image of the pendulum round, you know the device is level left/right, and is aimed up at a slight angle determined by the mirror. The trigger does not do anything except get you used pulling on the long hard trigger of a crossbow with out moving the aim point or changing the left/right roll angle.

Reply to
anorton

No luck yet on the 2770 (the pistol shaped tool), some progress was made on the company logo but the device is still unidentified. More information and the rest of the answers can be seen at the link below:

Hopefully we'll get an answer for 2770 in the coming weeks.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2770: Hammerle designs and installs machinery for automated manufacturing. If they used a lot of tubing of the same diameter, this tool could clamp to the top of a tube so that one worker could hold it vertical while another welded it in place. If you had light coming from below the tube, you could keep the pendulum centered, like aiming a rifle with a peep sight.

Somebody suggested that it was to align and drop a cylinder. My idea comes from that suggestion, but I think you'd pull the trigger to release the tool and move to the next tube.

Reply to
j Burns

2770 looks like a quality control device to eyeball a hollow manufactured item for centeredness, roundness and smoothness.

The light will be outside the gun with the shield as a diffuser and to remove other reflections. The mirror centers the image of the pin in the sight. The pin swings which would give one a shifting reflection to show up irregularities. The top of the trigger sits proud of the platform and serves as a quick clamp and bolt/carefully shaped washer holding the the spring/piston assembly below would also serve as a key to hold the item being examined in precise alignment.

My wildest guess would have something to do with laser mirrors... but it seems more likely it has something to do with a machine part.

Reply to
phorbin

I just added your theory to my list of possible answers, I'm still 50/50 on whether it is for holding a cylinder for some reason or if it's for pistol practice. Today I sent two more emails to companies in Europe, one named Hammerli, and the other Hammerle. The first is an arms company and the second makes roll leveling machines. Seems like there should be a similar tool on the web but so far I haven't found any.

Reply to
Rob H.

I see drawbacks to my theory. I envisioned tubes at least a couple of feet long. In that case, a longer pendulum would work better. Would somebody need to set 4" tubes vertical? Also, without damping, it would be slow to use.

Reply to
j Burns