need some help

Hi folks. I'm in need of some help. I would like to learn how to weld, but I don't know where to start. I'm comfortable with a Propane/Oxy blow torch in jewelry applications but know nothing about welding steel. The project is to construct a frame for a small trailer to be hooked to my (four year old) son's John Deere toy tractor. I was looking at steel at Home Depot. I can cut it, bend, etc. but need sopmebody to point me in the right direction as far as the welds go. Thanks in advance.

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

Thomas A.Dixon

Hey Stan, if you can braze/weld jewelry you are probably ahead of most folks. With what you describe, I would suggest a 110 volt Mig welder. They are so cheap now that just about any hobbiest can afford them. Also get the gas bottle. The welds look so much better that the increased cost is well worth it. The flux core type wire is just too time consuming for clean up. I have built a lot of small things with my 110 Mig and even a few larger things like light trailers and work tables. As far as learning the process, well, I taught myself with only stick weld experience to guide me. It took awhile but you figure it out pretty fast. The steel should be pretty clean and unpainted. Migs hate paint! Also make sure you have a really good ground. Hope this helps! Doyle Carver

Doylesee

Hello

I wasn't intending to use any kind of OXY mix to do this project. Learning to TIG or MIG is what was in it for me.

I guess I should figure out the difference between the two first.. Thanks for the link to Lincoln electric. I'll be checking it out.

-Stan

Reply to
sbright