need some help

Hi folks. I'm in need of some help. I would like to learn how to weld, but
I don't know where to start. I'm comfortable with a Propane/Oxy blow torch
in jewelry applications but know nothing about welding steel. The project
is to construct a frame for a small trailer to be hooked to my (four year
old) son's John Deere toy tractor. I was looking at steel at Home Depot. I
can cut it, bend, etc. but need sopmebody to point me in the right direction
as far as the welds go. Thanks in advance.
-Stan
Reply to
sbright
Stan It's a big jump from jewlery to steel frames. If you are going to oxy-fuel weld you will need acetylene, other fuel gases don't work well for welding. If you want to get into arc welding check out Lincolnelectric.com. They have good info on getting started. Good Luck Tom
Reply to
Thomas A.Dixon
Hey Stan, if you can braze/weld jewelry you are probably ahead of most folks. With what you describe, I would suggest a 110 volt Mig welder. They are so cheap now that just about any hobbiest can afford them. Also get the gas bottle. The welds look so much better that the increased cost is well worth it. The flux core type wire is just too time consuming for clean up. I have built a lot of small things with my 110 Mig and even a few larger things like light trailers and work tables. As far as learning the process, well, I taught myself with only stick weld experience to guide me. It took awhile but you figure it out pretty fast. The steel should be pretty clean and unpainted. Migs hate paint! Also make sure you have a really good ground. Hope this helps! Doyle Carver
Doylesee
Hello
I wasn't intending to use any kind of OXY mix to do this project. Learning to TIG or MIG is what was in it for me.
I guess I should figure out the difference between the two first.. Thanks for the link to Lincoln electric. I'll be checking it out.
-Stan
Reply to
sbright