How do I roll 1/4" flat steel?

I want to build a few drum dollies like the one in the following link:

I will need to roll some smaller diameters for other projects also (they might be with 1/8" steel though). Some of the rollers that I seen at Grizzly can only handle 22 gauge. Can a newbie make a heavier roller that will handle 1/4" material or is there some better way. I don't mind spending a couple of hundred bucks on buying something as I will have many uses for it over my lifetime.

Reply to
Joe B

Buy a bar roller from Shop outfitters

And there is this one from Jansen supply

Ernie Leimkuhler

The roller from Shop Outfitters looks nice, but $700 - ouch. I stated in my original post that I would spend a couple of hundred to buy one for this and future projects, but this seems a little steep. Has anyone made one or seen plans to build one. If so, please provide a link.

Reply to
Joe B

If you are only building a few you could take the flat bar and wrap it around a barrel full of sand or some other weight. You will need a helper to hold one end or you will have to tack it to the barrel. Wrap it around and then mark at the overlap. Cut the flat spots off at each end then install your precut cross pieces to hold the correct diameter. If you have at least two feet extra at both ends you have a reasonable chance at bending 1/4 by 2 inch. Three inch wide would be difficult. Another way is to tack weld two pieces of angle around three inches high standing up on a heavy steel table. You can progressively pull the flat bar putting slight kinks in it as you work it between the two uprights. Have a sweep to check your radius. A sweep is simply a piece of wood or cardboard cut at the correct radius so that it will match the inside of your bend. Randy

Randy Zimmerman

You might try taking your material to a re-bar fabricator. They can make spirals and hoops easily. I've had hoops made for hot tubs and for tub surrounds that were 8' -10' in diameter. For large diameters have 2 semi-circles rolled. I used 5/8" hot rolled rod, and threaded the ends. Just make sure that your material is long enough to match the circumference.

Reply to
larsen-tools