MetalWorking Gun Making

So someone was able to 3D print a plastic gun and is shot a few times... Why not make guns from metal? The most specialized piece of equipment I can think of would be for rifling the barrel. Years ago I had a "Foxfire" book on gun making, it had simple cutters and a guide that turned at the right twist. It also wouldn't seem that difficult to do button rifling with the carbide "football" of the right caliber.

Iggy did a reasonable cost linux CNC conversion of a Bridgeport that he got with bad controls and he was even able to add a 4th axis. Seems a gun could be designed so all parts could be machined on a 3 or 4 axis mill plus a lathe. It wouldn't be as easy a pushing "Print" for a 3D gun design, but at least the high stress parts could be machined from metal.

I don't know if the assault weapons parts sets will still be available, seems if we just had to machine a receiver it wouldn't be too bad, especially if someone already had the CAD/CAM model available.

Better hurry up before Obama outlaws metalworking!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Roger, if I was not so busy, I would definitely try to make an AK receiver on my Bridgeport, it is fascinating stuff. The rest can be bought without any licensing.

Ignoramus7923

I explored making upper and lower recievers from a 7075 hogout a while back, got the federal paperwork and so forth but in the end I decided that the profit margin is simply not there.

Let me know if you want a.DXF wireframe.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Why use a mill? AK's are about the easiest receiver to make there is.

Stamped steel bent into a U shape. You can buy a flat or make one easily. You start with 1mm (.040") 4130 steel sheet. Fold it up, install the trunnions and rails. Bingo you have a receiver.

Reply to
Steve W.

Lots of infor on gun making on YouTube

Gunner