Crop not working (grayed out)... (2023 Update)

It might be just a brain fart, but has anyone ever had an issue with not being able to crop?? SWx 2009, SP2.1

I have a simple print of a single component (not assy), made an closed spline profile sketch and now crop is not available and is grayed out. Tried a circle thinking something was wrong with my spline....nada. Made sure the view focus was locked...nada. Recreated my spline and could make a detail out of it and any other closed shape, but crop is still not available...Any ideas?

IYM

Reply to
IYM

Howdy,

Two things come to mind on this. I've had similar problem in the past and one of these solved the problem.

1) Right-Click on the view and select "Lock View Focus", then, re-draw your crop sketch. 2) The View already has a sketch - Right-Click on the view and if Crop View -> Remove View is an available selection - select it to remove any unwanted sketch entities.

Hope that helps

Reply to
Tob

Howdy,

Two things come to mind on this. I've had similar problem in the past and one of these solved the problem.

1) Right-Click on the view and select "Lock View Focus", then, re-draw your crop sketch. 2) The View already has a sketch - Right-Click on the view and if Crop View -> Remove View is an available selection - select it to remove any unwanted sketch entities.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply, but no-go. I had mentioned that I made sure the view focus was locked, but as I didn't create the drawing and am only rev'ing it, I didn't think to look for poor techniques done by the original guy. So I did look for anything out of the norm in the dwg view and found that while he did draw construction lines, constrain them horizontally and vertically, then created a point on one of the lines and constrained it to the center of both lines, then constrained the that point concentric to the diameter in order to form centerlines instead of just wisely using the centerline feature, (LOL - Got to love the way some people work...) there was nothing out of the norm and it still does not work. I'm about ready to do a redraw just because I can't tell what other hidden gems are in there, and it's not a complicated drawing/part....

IYM

Reply to
IYM

What are you cropping? Full view, section view, detail view?

TOP

Reply to
manager

Just cropping a regular ol' standard front view of a round part. Absolutely nothing unusual about it. Has a section line through the center of it, but it doesn't even have dimensions on it - those are all in the section view. On a whim, I decided to start to make a new drawing of the part to see if the problem duplicates, so I placed the exact same view on a new sheet (same template as the old dwg), created the same section view, and then tried to crop it on that sheet and the crop works - no problems, so it's got to be something the guy did to the drawing format or he's got something "unusual" in that view I just can't see that's screwing it up. By "unusual", I mean poor drawing techniques. I described how this guy was making center lines, but another example of his would be - I'd find unconstrained sections lines that were supposed to be vertical, but were actually 1/4 degree off that (or some that were vertical, but .00005" off the actual center of the part) and I would have to waste time trying to find out why the section view was screwed up, or why I couldn't add a radius dimension to it because it wasn't a "true" radius...erg...so I know what to check for on his prints, but this is a new one....

Anyway I ended up redrawing it, but I saved the old print as I eventually want to know what's going on should I run across this again...

Thanks...

IYM

Reply to
IYM

If that's the case you might want to look at the document properties for some different setting. From time to time SW gets a corrupt file. Sometimes you can fix a corrupt file by deleting everything and then doing an undo. Backup first if you try this.

TOP

Reply to
manager

Have tou seen if youa already have done a crop in your view ? In this case, RC and then "edit the crop" or just "remove the crop"

Reply to
Elio

Reply to
Tom Stoneberg