Current Drill Presses for metalworking

So I've been watching iggy's posts as I've been considering getting a drill press. I didn't know there were any American manufacturers left until I saw the post that Clausing still makes them. I looked them over and as other have mentioned it doesn't seem to go slow enough for metalworking. Or maybe it is and tapping should be reserved for a mill. Any of the ones I've looked at in stores have wobbly spindles (with the spindle all the way down).

I'm leaving mill/drills out of this discussion. Does anyone know of any available new drill presses, American or otherwise, that would be a good choice for metalworking?

Thanks, Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

Wayne, please post your findings. I am not about to buy a new high end drill press, but I am very interested.

Ignoramus4664

What's your budget? Concider used...I just bought a Clausing 15 Variable speed for $200

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom's right. Near me there are some awesome machines you can buy used for similar money to a cheap new Chinese machine.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I looked at bench drill presses a couple of years ago. I was in a hurry and didn't have the luxury of waiting for the right used drill press to come along. The only one I could find that was in my budget at the time, was easily available and had a decently slow low speed was a unit from Grizzly; see

It has a low speed of 140RPM.

It's made in China and isn't going to make anyone think they've died and gone to drill press heaven, but it's served decently over the last couple of years.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

For serious drooling, check out McMaster page 2372 (or search for drill press). Note item 28865A31.

Or check out Grizzly item G9749.

Ignoramus4664

400 rpm isnt slow enough? What are you going to be drilling 1" and up?

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Ill be having some Delta and Clausings up for sale for a client in the next couple weeks. Mostly gang drills, but they can be broken up.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner, you find 400 is adequate for your needs? I'd say 150 RPM is adequate. At that RPM, you can countersink/counterbore 3/4"+ holes in most tool steels, and use a spiral point/flute tap in the chuck between perhaps #8 and 5/8".

And a power feed is really slick. You'll never go back once you have used a drill press that has one - I would consider it a necessity if you're getting paid for your work.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Yes, I do. If Im going to be slogging a big drill ..Ill stick the work on the Gorton MasterMill and put it into granny low. With the VFD..I can spin er damned slow and that 3hp really makes a difference. If I want to drill BIG holes..Ill take it down to my buddies shop and bolt the work down to the table of the big Continental radial arm drill..8 foot drill arm. I can stick in a 4" drill bit and watch those BIG curls come off the work. Course it does have a 20hp motor on it.

Ive got power downfeed on the Gorton. Variable rate in fact, not just 3 like BPs. "Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

If you want a REAL DRILL PRESS...

Look at the radial arm unit i just bought

Karl Townsend

Highly impressive. Now you can drill those apples in no time! :)

Ignoramus23363

That..is some really nice iron. Ive seen that brand in a number of machine shops.

Oh..if you ever decide to swivel the head side to side?

Bolt the base to the floor..please. Having one tip over on you is not condusive to a long life.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

We have half a dozen similar machines at work. They're very nice indeed. We have cast tables with t-slots (just under hip-height) bolted to the ground beside the columns (90=BA from the drill's table, which sits at ankle level). We can place a 8ft x 13ft die shoe on the table, and still use the second table to do smaller work, either bolted down or in a vice.

Getting back to the original question, it seems like a smarter idea just to buy the drill press you want, than to buy one that's of questionable use anyway, and then have to use up to two other machines to supplement it when your work exceeds its capacity.

The Ibarmias at work are nice machines, and they pretty much do anything you need - not too many here need to drill holes larger than

1-1/2" anyway, nor have the budget to purchase such bits anyway. Larger drills require heavy feeds which the Ibarmias are capable of, exceeding .012"/rev. They go down to about .003"/rev. for little wee bits.

Do you use the Bridgeport power feed for drilling? As I understand, it's mostly just for boring, and is not really capable of heavy work. I thought that was a good way to break it...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

If you go for Grizzly (Chinese), then look at the G0521... Amazing machine for the $$$.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I would buy one if it wasn't 3 phase.

Max

Reply to
Max

Gunner, No, most likely I wouldn't be drilling 1" and up too often. I wouldn't mind being able to tap with it though. My limited knowledge in that area says 400 it too high.

Robin, Sounds like I'd want to get at least down to 150. I've seen Delta has a dual range variable speed one. Low speed is 150. Price isn't too bad.

Thanks, Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

I guess for a drill press it wouldn't have to be new. It took me a long time to rebuild the used bandsaw I bought (although I'd never want to give it up). I've had a bad experience with a used lathe. I'd rather get something I don't have to work on and just start using.

So basically I'm trying to find what's available first, if I could have anything I wanted. Then work my way down from there, if necessary.

2000 seems too pricey, around 1000 would be ok. Of course one must take into account drool factor.

Preference would be a floor model, variable speed.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

I looked over McMaster's offerings. Didn't see anything that had a lower speed range (~150). Berland's House of Tools has a Delta dual range VS model in stock. If we don't get too much snow tomorrow I stop by after work to look at it.

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

Ok, I'm not that serious... And yes, you deserve to gloat!

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne