Speaking of Drill Presses

I've had a Harbor Freight drill press for a number of years, and its ok for wallowing out a hole in piece of material, but the head wobbles pretty bad. Always has. Anybody got any tips on finding its replacement. Maybe something I can actually afford? Best bang for the buck?

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Hey Bob:

Would you log to the

site and locate the drill press that comes closest to the one you have?

After downloading the manual, you could do some diagnostic work and perhaps repair your press. Ferinstance, if you had this one:

... you could check to see that the three 'head lock setscrews' referred to on page 10 were installed properly and snugged up against the column after the head was resting properly on top.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

you can get a good grade industrial drill press for $75 to $100 if you look around and are patient - you will then need to spend about the same amount again buying new bearings and belts for it - and more if you want to make it beautiful (see the Delta drill press on my "hobbies/tools" page for example -

- I had a taiwan special (pre harbor freight) that this replaced - it is much nicer.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Bill Noble

That is a good idea. I seem to recall going through the setup on the press when I got it, but I do not recall setting head screws. It has been quite a number of years though. I will see if there is a manual for my press and read it thoroughly. Thank you. I have already determined for precision located holes I'll use my mini mill, but for some stuff its not practical.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Winston,

Thanks. I just checked and they still my exact model. Downloading the manual as I type. Thanks again.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Soitny. You're welcome.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It's hard to beat a drill press for low cost versatility.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston