Re: Fly presses?

Gentlemen,

>I have been reading the thread about workshops and it seems that you are all >into owning fly presses. I have difficulty understanding why you want them >and what you would all use them for. My understanding is that they were used >mainly for production work, stamping out light pressings. I have a hydraulic >press which I find very useful for bearings, bending, etc. Does a fly press >do the same sort of job? Should I feel sorry for the flies? someone >enlighten me please. >Thanks > >John >

Flypress, arbor press, all useful for various jobs, especially on the metalwork side, but hydraulic presses give a bit more control with higher power/pressure.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

They're a device for quickly filling shed space. Quite handy things, but they do take up a lot of room when whirling, and they're damned heavy to put away and take out when needed.

It's easy to make tooling for them (bit of turned steel, even plywood into a rubber conveyor-belt cushion) and you can make all sorts of pressed tinwork that's very hard by other means.

If you want a fly press, this guy seems to have a few

I have a feeling they also have a Canberra nose section for sale there....

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I once spent a weekend helping a friend move a shed from one allotment to another. Hard work - the thing was knackered, and we rebuilt more than we carried.

Then a couple of us went off to the aircraft scrappie in Essex. There waiting for us was a Gloster Javelin, complete with its large fibreglass radome nose. A little disk cutter work and we could have had the perfect shed, for almost no effort. Shame we didn't do the visits the other way round !

Said scrappie still has a complete nose and cockpit section of a Canberra PR9, just waiting for a suitable owner....

Reply to
Andy Dingley