Cute arbor press

I went to a tag sale this morning and among other things I bought an arbor press. It had a bunch of surface rust, but no pitting. And has no brand name or for that matter no text on it. The whole thing is only about five inches high. So it is much smaller than say a 1/2 ton arbor press.

I bought it because it was cute, and only $5. But am curious if anyone kn ows of an application for such a small arbor press. I already have a 1/2 o r 1 ton arbor press.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Probably for a jeweler or watchmaker.

Reply to
Steve W.

Good for cracking walnuts. John

Reply to
John

Assembling electrical IDC connectors

With a blade fitted - great for cutting batches of heat-shrink tubing or small wire lengths.

I too have seen them at watch repair / key cutter kiosks. I figured they used them to fit the front watch glass or press backs onto watches.

Reply to
just_me

Lots of uses. Crimping little pins into place, we've drilled the sides of the ram and attached X-acto blades for cutting spacers, etc.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hmm ... perhaps it could be used for domeing replacement crystals to go into the bezel rings on dial indicators. That's probably what I would fit it up for.

An image somewhere might be nice.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols