What can you do with an arbor press?

Now that I have an arbor press, I am wondering what I can do with it. The obvious use is "pressing bearings and gears", which is not what I do that often.

I saw a web page that had a great idea that an arbor press can provide an ability to apply letter and number stamps very nicely. This is definitely wonderful.

Another good use would probably to have a little brake for small metal pieces, or a bender, that would be press operated. Do such things exist?

Anything else?

Ignoramus32544

I use mine a lot for pressing in flush PEM sheet metal fasteners. Made the die from a bit of 4140 steel, didn't bother heat treating it. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

We broach square holes in cast iron parts... and punch out some small fiber parts when we only need a few at a time.

Reply to
David Courtney

Northern Tool sells a press brake to use in one. Another application is hydraulic press forming sheet metal parts using a male die and a rubber pad.

Reply to
Reginald Beardsley

Sphero,

What means PEM sheet metal fasteners ?

I use mine a lot for pressing in flush PEM sheet metal fasteners. Made the die from a bit of 4140 steel, didn't bother heat treating it. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Robert Swinney

PEM nuts or standoffs/spacers. You drill a hole and press the nut into aluminum. There are several styles, all made by PEM. I would give you a link, but every time I try to do a Google search I get a screen to type in some BS code.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks.. here's a link:-

McMaster sells some, but I think they are knock-offs.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Nut cracker - works well on pecans, presumably other nuts.

Reply to
Pete C.

Crush aluminum cans for recycling?

We use them for pressing bearings and gears and the like... But we also use them for manual straightening of bent parts, etc. If you have one handy, it'll become useful on different projects as you think through what you need to do.

It's like my hydraulic 20 ton bottle / car jack... I'm currently lifting my house with it and have leveled old porches, etc. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Now that's just not right! That's just plain nuts! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm planning to adapt mine for sheet metal punching. Supposedly can be used for broaching, but I have not tried that yet. Otherwise I just use mine for press fit applications.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Wright

Well one day I was sitting watching the grass grow in the back yard and saw this old arbor press just rusting away near the flower beds,it didnt have that funny round thing any more hum what to do with it?? So I set it on the work bench waiting to be cleaned and repainted. The next day I was doing a hand tap on the vice and after I had finished found that the hole I just tapped was weaving like a drunken salior what todo??? Wait a minute why cant i put a cross handle on this arblr press with a hole drilled down the square shaft and attach a 1/2 rod & tap holder as well as a scoket to hold dies which would give me a streight hole and or out side threads. best tool I have ever owned.

a shop full of machines Cap...

Reply to
Cap.

Thanks.. here's a link:-

McMaster sells some, but I think they are knock-offs.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Sure ! Now I remember; the mnenomics threw me off. I have seen them and used them. There's also a version that works in wood - sorta like a hollow internal mchine threaded wood screw. The last ones I had were 12-24 internal that screwed into a 3/8 hole in the wood.

Thanks.. here's a link:-

McMaster sells some, but I think they are knock-offs.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Hi, I have stairs at home. They can be used to go up and down. What can I do with them, are they useful me?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Will you make your own dies, or will you buy them?

Ignoramus32544

Just throw all your FreeBSD computers down those stairs Ken.

Ignoramus32544

I picked up a set of keyway broaches for mine. Haven't used them yet, but I haven't welded up the stand either.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:56:25 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete C." quickly quoth:

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:26:33 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor qualm, "Cap." quickly quoth:

Effin' Yahoo. Sign in then find that you have to be a member of one group plus joining another. FTS.

We no can see your pics, Cap.