What can you do with an arbor press?

I husk them right after picking. Than I stir them in five gal. bucket with some gravel and water using a power drill and a reinforced paint stirrer. That removes the remaining snot from the shells. I stored them for a month before started shelling. They do have a distinct aroma that needs getting used to.

Thank you.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I will tell her.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

OK, thanks, Boris. If I get over to the northwestern part of NJ, where there are more black walnuts on the public lands -- before the squirrels get them -- I'll know what to try.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

2 points to you. You beat me. ;)
Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL. I can picture both events, my friend. How the hell are ya? Ping me elsewhere sometime.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

[ ... ]

Start with diagonal cutters, but grind off the outside surface so there is no bevel -- the edge comes flush with the surface, so you can get very close to a surface, such as a printed circuit board while snipping off wires soldered through the board.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Aha. I have a really small pair of dikes that I use for that job -- they have almost no bevel on the outside endge -- but I'll keep it in mind if I gather enough black walnuts.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The obvious answer is "press arbors."

Reply to
rangerssuck

On 3/14/2018 12:07 PM, Leon Fisk wrote: ...

Your dad used to whack squirrels with a hammer? (Sorry, I couldn't resist. )

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I just dug up SEVENTY oak trees yesterday from my garden. I'd like to know his technique, if you please, Bob. Acorns don't bury themselves several inches deep.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Birds stash them like that too...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Neighbour across the street has a horse chessnut tree in the back yard. every October I sit on my front porch and watch the proccession along the top of his fence, across the lawn, up his street side maple and down mine then across my lawn and down my driveway to expand the orchard throughout the neighbourhood. Most of the hulls are removed at the base of either of the maples. I have one of the trees about ten feet tall in my back yard where I transplanted it several years ago to replace a flowering crab apple tree that produced inedible apples about a half inch in diameter. At least the sqirrels get some benefit from the horse chessnuts and the hulls are no worse to clean up than the damned little hard apples.

Reply to
Gerry

My brother and I got three swamp rabbits with a ball pein one night. About every tenth rabbit we hit with a spotlight would run at an angle toward us, then change by 90 deg or so, back and forth, until they ended up at our feet. Whap, dead rabbit. The rest ran other directions and escaped.

Man, I could go for some rabbit. Good eating.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

We had a rat problem for a while in the old chicken barn we used for the car club.one night a rat ranout from under my car and I let fly with my size 12 boot and bounced the rat off the garagedoor at the other end of the shop.

A few days later I nailed one in full flight with my big ball pien hammer from about 15 feet.

2 very dead rats.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Same here.

Shot a rabbit a couple of years ago, dropped it onto a clean white sheet. In a few minutes, it was surrounded by ticks in all stages of development fleeing the carcase. And of course, there were a whole bunch that were in feeding mode that didn't drop off. Blech.

Collected a lot of the escapees, identified dermacentor, no ixodes, under a scope but the ixodes are present here. So now I cremate rabbits that are percussively dissuaded from eating the garden.

Reply to
Mike Spencer