NTSB interesting read on steam boiler

Re. locomotive boiler explosion on tourist RR, 1995. Particularly interesting
is the photo of the
crown sheet as it was bogged down due to melting.

Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
esting is the photo of the
This'll learn you kids how to run an engine:
Jim Wilkins
is the photo of the
From the accident report, IMHO this was stupidity through deliberate ignorance - they didn't have a clue where the true water level in that boiler was, and they didn't even know enough to realize they were in trouble.
And with the Engineer and Fireman duties not clearly defined that meant they should have been cross-checking on each other even MORE, rather than both of them going "Oh I don't need to check on that, he's doing it."
Getting "working water" because the boiler water is too high is bad, but it's a LOT better than going "BOOM!" from being way too low.
I especially like how the "Chief, Engineer and Bottle-Washer" was filling in his own FRA Form 4 Inspection reports as "all done, all good" when they clearly didn't have clue one about what they were doing.
You have to be smart enough to know what you DON'T know. Then identify what you don't know, and go out and learn it. After a while, you get to where you know enough to stay safe - but you still don't stop learning, even with 150-year old technology they still come up with new and better ways of doing things.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
is the photo of the
I'm only to page 45 so far but what a bunch of idiots. I've worked with a lot of things that can reach out and touch you. Steam is #1 on my list of things you do not want to disrespect.
Wes
Reply to
Wes
A steam buff who was restoring a locomotive gave a talk at NEMES and begged for help finding or making exotic unobtainable parts. Possibly that wrong injector valve disk was the only one they could find and no one knew how to make the correct one without the long-lost print. The really inexcusable oversight was the blocked lower gage cock.
I am wary of all complex obsolete technology that is maintained by underfunded volunteers, which puts me a little at odds with the Keep Em Flying warbird buffs. I've piloted a PT-17 Stearman but was very gentle with it, for example. I have to refuse to make parts for restorers because I don't want my name in one of those NTSB accident reports, which list every deficiency and non-original part whether or not it contributed to the accident.
Jim Wilkins
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
That article on running a steam engine was most interesting to me! Thanks for posting the link. He mentions using Mica Axle Grease for lubing gears and why it is good for that. Never heard of it before but it makes sense to me. Would it work on the gears of a lathe? Should eih? phil kangas
-- The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in messageOn Mar 3, 1:04 pm, "Robert Sw> Re. locomotive boiler explosion on tourist RR, 1995. Particularly interesting is the photo of the
This'll learn you kids how to run an engine:

Phil Kangas