Fly press tools

I may be getting a fly-press. It has no tools with it.

Does anyone have a good source for punches for fly-presses.

I need to cut 8 and 10.6mm holes in 1.5mm stainless sheet.

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

RS do a good selection, and they are priced well, i used to punch 1.2MM st/st with them years ago, without a problem

HTH

Tim -- From the Keyboard of Tim Bird Home Page

Photo Gallery

Gravity is not just a good idea........ ITS THE LAW!!! How can I soar like an Eagle.... When I am surrounded by Turkeys!!!!

Reply to
Tim Bird

Jonathan,get yourself a "Hunton Bolster" for it.This is a cast dieholder which comes in a No1 and No2 size and holds a vast range of dies.It also has edge guides with stops for setting the position of your plate.Not cheap but very worthwhile.Reliant Engineers in Canning Town London had some secondhand ones for a while.Alternatively we get our ironworker punches made to order by Winston and Allan in Sheffield,very competitively priced and last forever.Hunton has a website somewhere so has Reliant.It will take just over three ton to punch your biggest hole so you need a No4 or larger flypress. Kind regards,Mark.

Reply to
Mark McGrath

Thanks for the tips, I will be following them up.

As to the size of the press, how do you tell. The one I think I am getting stands about a meter high.

I hope it will only cost me transport.

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

frame.i.e. No2 or No3 up to 10.This denotes the tonnage it produces on an average 90 deg swing provided it has the original handle and weights.The proper way to use it is to let the momentum of the weights do the work and not your arm.I used to be in charge of a department of thirty four women of all ages who used flypresses and some of the smallest and oldest would sit in their high chair all day swinging a No 10 press and trot of home at night brand new.My arm was sore just doing samples to prove a setup. regards,Mark.

Reply to
Mark McGrath