How do I - Making T Nuts

Having made all my own T-nuts so far, I now need to make a couple which a bit more tricky.

The T-Nuts are small and will take a maximum 4mm stud to give an idea of size. The tricky part is that they are to fit a curved slot of radius

3inches (The slot is a continuous circle).

I have a couple of ways to do this, but what's the best way?

I'd thought about making them "straight" and filing to size, but the inner radius gets tricky to make a smart job and the other way was to make a fixture for the mill so that I could sweep the work piece past the cutter at the right radius, but not too sure about cutter forces and impact on finish.

Any views?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I think I'm missing something here as it looks too simple. What about turning a ring on the lathe 'T' shaped section 6" dia and cutting into segments?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Turn a ring in the lath of the rite section and cut it up ?

Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

I'll own up to not having thought of it! However, I forgot to mention these T-nuts hold down the top slide on the lathe (3-1/2") but I don't have a face plate I could fix it to.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Sounds like a good excuse to get that rotary table you always promised yourself then.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Weld or bolt a spigot to a piece of plate, hold in the chuck, skim the face and you now have a faceplate.

Where about's in the country are you?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Near Blackpool.

I think first step is to rough one out then I can get the lathe usuable, then make a couple of deceny ones as first task.

Steve

Reply to
Steve