Nuts!

Our metalworking group was given a couple of bench grinders. Both run, but are missing the nuts and flanges needed to install wheels.

If you have one of these el-cheapo's in you shop, please get some info for me.

Size, diameter, thread for both shaft nuts on

Cummins 6" No. 6349 Model BG-6 Claims to be 3/4 hp. MFG # 31-031

and

Northern Industrial Tools

8" bench grinder Claims to be 3/4 hp 3400 RPM

I found manuals online but the parts breakdown says stuff like "Nut, left end". No size, thread, or part number.

No rush, just asking around.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

technomaNge fired this volley in news:jq3u83$gq$1@dont- email.me:

EXCUSE me? Your "metalworking group"? What kind of metalworking do you do, hammered brass lamp shades?

I can't believe anyone who does "metalworking" wouldn't know how to measure the diameter and thread pitch of a shaft.

And flanges follow a rule-of-thumb (which I won't give you now) for their diameter vs. the wheel diameter.

Figure it out, IF you're a "metalworker", F'Gosh sakes!

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I don't have either of these, but I do have a comment below.

[ ... ]

The reason why the nut is listed separately for the left vs the right ends is because the left hand wheel has a left-hand threaded nut, so it tightens when the motor spins up, rather than loosening. Back in the past, car lug nuts used to have a left-hand thread on one side for similar reasons.

I could measure a quite old 6" grinder (not sure the brand at he moment, but it works well), and a much more recent 8" Jet, but no bets for the threads matching what you have.

Why not measure the shafts. Diameter of the thread, and the pitch (with a thread pitch gauge). What you have may use metric or inch threads -- but you *will* need left hand thread on the left hand end of each.

For making the flanges -- make some that come out to within about 1/4" to 1/8" of the edge of the blotter paper on the wheels. That should be about right. Undercut the center so the pressure is only on about the last 1/4" of the side toward the wheel. Be sure to machine them so the flat at the center of the end away from the wheel is parallel to the flat which presses against the blotter paper on the wheel.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

--- snip good advise --------------

Oh, I know about left and right hand threads. Yes, I can measure the shafts and use big washers for flanges until we can do better. I guess a thread gage is my next purchase, then off to McMaster.

Thanks, DoN.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

P.S. DoN is one of the others I usually read first. Interestingly he gave you about the same answer with a little more about left and right that Lloyd did. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Err... unless they are extremely fine threads you can measure thread pitch quite accurately with a 6 inch steel scale.

-- Cheers,

John B.

Reply to
John B.

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:vK2dnXNnzKA4OVjSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

'Couldn't care less. There's only so much "stupid" I can stand from folks like that before I order them out of my shop.

If he'd said, "we want to start a group to _learn_ how to do metalworking, and we were given some tools... how do I tell...(so and so)", I'd have answered civilly.

He said, "our metalworking group" -- That's a group that does metalworking. Then he asked questions an eight year old Soapbox Derby kid would know how to answer.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Polymer clay can be molded around an object and then baked to harden it, so you have a pocketable sample of the thread size.

I use Fimo and set it with a heat gun.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

technomaNge fired this volley in news:jq46fu$6h9$1@dont- email.me:

No, YOU started with nothing, and still have all of it.

I started with a brain. I built on that; built many of my tools, too.

If you'd had the decency to call yourself a tinsmith instead of a "metalworker" (with all that conveys), then you'd have gotten a reasonable answer.

(BTW... exactly what did you need that helmet for -- keeping away alien thought-stealing waves? Did it have little kitty-ear holes? Was it for one of your Anime costumes?)

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

To be clear, HE kind of deserved it.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Apparently it didn't work...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in news:X9GdnUWJacIyq1vSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Well, thanks. I think I got that, after I re-read your post.

It's not like me to shoot out flames on a first encounter. Some things, though, just get my ire up really fast!

It's like that rare social encounter, where you see a person across a room, and even before hearing them speak or seeing them close-up, you just don't like them. Those are rare, but they happen.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Interesting stuff. Are there any other uses for it in the shop? I see that is can be worked after hardening - what about drilling, and tapping? Does it have a useful tensile strength?

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt