I need a very small T-slot cutter

I need to cut a metric t-slot with a max "T" width of 12.5mm and a max slot width of 8mm; the height of the "T" should be (approx) 6mm.

Unfortunately, metric tooling is difficult to find here in the US (not to mention expensive) and I have not been able to locate a single US source of metric t-slot cutters. Therefore, I considered using a small English-sized cutter and taking multiple cuts to reach my desired dimensions. But the smallest commonly available t-slot cutter is 1/4" (bolt size) which has a cutting diameter of 9/16" (14.3mm).

Does anyone know where I can find a metric t-slot cutter or a small English t-slot cutter that will fit my needs?

TIA, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Buy it from overseas or buy the nearest one over what you need and take it to a cutter grinding shop to have it cut down to the size you need.

For overseas sources try

You might also look for a source in Canada (mostly metrified) or Australia (pretty much metrified). KBC Tools would be a good bet.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Try searching under "Woodruff Key Cutter" and you will find smaller tools than what you have already encountered.

My experience shows that "T-slot Cutters" are designed with teeth that cut alternately high/low, with each tooth cutting on two edges. The woodruff key cutters don't side cut but do have some relief on the edges so they can clean up sides without scuffing. I have used them in the past to make T-slots, after the slot had been well roughed-out beforehand.

Jim

jim rozen

Try:

For a custom ground cutter.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. They made a small custom T slot cutter near that size for me in the past. Along with other custom cutters. Same day delivery in most cases. (for me)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Logghe

Greetings:

I can buy you one on Friday 8 August, from Hahn & Kolb here in Stuttgart, Germany. You can use PayPal if you want some confidence in the transaction.

7 to 10 days via USPS Priority mail. They go for about 23 to 25 Euros. Let me know if you want more details.

So where do you dive? I dove a bunch in Key West about 6 years ago... Wilkes Barre, Kendrick, etc.

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown

Hello Jim,

Thank you very much. However, I've decided--for now at least--to try modifying an endmill for this task per a suggestion from Larry Twaits. I have some cheap endmills from Russia that I don't feel the least bit bad about subjecting to the grinder. :P

So I'll pass for now. But I really do appreciate your genereous offer to assist me

I have dived the Red Sea, Guam, Palau, Australia's Great Barrier Reef, New Zealand, and California. Next stop, Thailand!

Regards, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

if you have access to a lathe and a grinder make your own to whatever size you want from I think you call it drill steel we in aus call it silver steel then harden and temper it to dark straw color hope this helps It was a lot cheaper when I did it than buying one or getting one reground silver in aus

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 09:06:18 GMT, "DeepDiver" was bump'n their gums abowt:

************************************************** Never drive Faster than your Gardian Angel can Fly
Reply to
silver