Need help im afraid :-/

Hi all,

completley new here and not even sure im in the right newsgroup for this query (trying alt.engineering.electrical too) Anyway, here goes.

I am looking to build a small wooden platform with a motor / servo which when operated will rise about 2 feet and then stop. when operated again, it needs to drop again slowly. It needs to be able to take about 20kgs in weight and i will probably use a sound activated switch for it.

The question is, has anyone any hints on where i can get or what sort of servo or motor i will require??

Thanks in Advance

Paul.

Reply to
Donegal Paul

Wayne Bourke

Use Goggle search electric linear actuator

Hope this helps

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Paul wrote ..........

Paul,

I am a bit concerned about anything as heavy as 20kg being moved by a sudden and uncontrolled cough or sneeze. Have you counted your fingers lately - it might be a good idea to start a graph showing their number on a daily basis. :)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Whittome

you could do this with a machine screw.. driven by a regular motor and gearbox. add two linear bearings/bushes & limit switches and you're in business. if you dont precise control.. and only stopping at two positions, you probably dont need the servo.

with a fine machine (acme) screw.. maybe 3 or 4 mm pitch, you could get your motor requirements down to around 1/8hp, depending on your gearbox reduction.

-tony

Reply to
tony

Cheers all, certainly a bit to think about, ps, if i went with a sound activated switch i will make sure that its a slow action motor so i dont lose a finger if i sneeze Mike :-)

Paul

Reply to
Donegal Paul

In article , Donegal Paul writes

Good god, we're getting some right riff-raff in here these days...

'Ello DP... ;^)

That scooter weighs more than 20 Kg surely?

Can't help with the electrickery, but can help with any machining, email me if you need it.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

"Nigel Eaton" replied to Donegal Paul

Heh! It aint for the scooter :-)

Paul.

Reply to
Donegal Paul

Our garage has a hydraulic jack that has the right movements - pump up quickly, knock off switch at the end of the travel then leak back slowly.Any interest? G.H.Ireland.

Reply to
Mr G H Ireland