SIMPLE WIRING DIAGRAM / VOLTAGE HELP?

PLEASE EXCUSE THE CAPS......
AT MY FACILITY WE JUST PURCHASED A NEW FILTRATION PUMP FOR A LARGE POND WE HAVE. ITS A 5 HP MOTOR THAT I ORDERED THROUGH A SALESMAN THAT
UNDERSTOOD WE HAVE 3 PHASE 480 AT THE STARTER CONTROL. I RECEIVED THE NEW UNIT TODAY AND BEGAN TO INSTALL IT BUT QUICKLY NOTICED THAT WIRING DIAGRAM SAYS 2 OPTIONS 208 - 220 / 440 OR 190 / 380.. NOW OBVIOUSELY MY FIRST ? IS WILL THE MOTOR RUN ON 480?
NEXT QUESTION IS HOW DO I HOOK UP L1 , L2 , L3 TO IT.. I COPPIED THE WIRING DIAGRAM EXATLY..
http://members.cox.net/boomersmech/motor.jpg
PLEASE GIVE ME AN IDIOTS TUTORIAL...
SO MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE MY BUTT IS ON THE LINE AND I NEED TO GET IT FIXED BY SATURDAY AT 5:00PM..
ONCE AGAIN I APPOLOGIZE FOR THE CAPS
On 10/20/06 5:43 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, " snipped-for-privacy@cox.net"

Problems like this are why god created professional engineers and electricians.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush
Salmon Egg wrote:

Wow, thanks for the help ..... could I assume you are not a proffesional electrical engineer being three was no actual help in your reply?
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

I think I figured it out by looking at another 460 wiring daigram...
http://www.marathonelectric.com/cgi-bin/nph-drawing.cgi/EE7308.pdf
I was connecting L1 to T1 & T7 and capping off T4
when I should have connected L1 to T1 and Connected T4 and T7 togeather..
The description is for an Inverted phase motor so I am hoping it matches the series of my motor but I shall see in 9 hours..... Please continue to Input on this if possible I will check this thread before and after I fix it to let you know of my results..

------------------- Do you want free consulting and the consultant taking the liability if you goof? You won't get it.

remove the X to answer

Let us know if any smoke has escaped during the nine hours.
Ben Miller
--
Benjamin D. Miller, PE
B. MILLER ENGINEERING

Ah the smoke test. Hook it up and see if it smokes. :)
At the instruction of our shop teacher, we rewound an electric motor in a portable fan without any specs. It ran for about a second and then you should have seen the smoke.
Educational and entertaining.
| |> The description is for an Inverted phase motor so I am hoping it |> matches the series of my motor but I shall see in 9 hours..... Please |> continue to Input on this if possible I will check this thread before |> and after I fix it to let you know of my results.. | | Let us know if any smoke has escaped during the nine hours.
Or if any bright blue pixies get loose.

OOOhhh, I hate those bright blue pixies.
They say that electronics runs on smoke. Well, power electrics runs on the blue pixies. You let the blue pixies out of power electronics, and they no longer work.

POND
MY
He sounds like a self-serving jerk from his reply.

On 20 Oct 2006 22:02:07 -0700 snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:
| Wow, thanks for the help ..... could I assume you are not a | proffesional electrical engineer being three was no actual help in your | reply?
There's a lot of stuff I can figure out with electrical systems. But when it comes to something beyond my education and knowledge, then I hire a professional or specify to my clients what needs to be handled by someone else (engineer, electrician, etc). I do computer systems, not motors. Usually I'm not dealing much with the power. But when it gets to be a big setup (e.g. 2000+ computers), power is not a trivial issue, nor is A/C. Been there, done that. I'm certainly not about to stick my neck out on electrical power systems.
For fun and theory, I do ask (often quite off the wall) questions here. I like to debate "what would have been" scenarios, and make plans for my house wiring and high current toys. But when it comes to wiring up data centers, I just make specifications about the power and cooling needed ... with knowledge about the code so I can understand complications that might happen and head them off before they do ... and let someone who has the experience, licensing, and bonding, deal with those things in the end. I'm not an electrician. I could wire my entire house, but I can't even replace a receptacle legally at work in most jurisidictions.
If your motor is a toy (and BIG motors could be fun toys for people into motors), getting help here seems reasonable. For work stuff, hiring a professional when you are out of your league _is_ _the_ correct advice. If you or your business doesn't have the money to do it, then maybe you shouldn't even be doing this project.
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

Table 430.250 Full-Load Current, Three-Phase Alternating-Current Motors The following values of full-load currents are typical for motors running at speeds usual for belted motors and motors with normal torque characteristics. The voltages listed are rated motor voltages. The currents listed shall be permitted for system voltage ranges of 110 to 120, 220 to 240, 440 to 480, and 550 to 600 volts.