Fly-press

I'd like to get a fly-press for my shop, so I can make some larger work than I would be able to otherwise, and so I don't piss off my
neighbors... the houses in my neighborhood are about 15 feet apart, so noise is a concern. I have pretty cool neighbors, and they really don't seem to mind the noise I make, but I would like to keep everything on good terms.
I have a lifting jack for semi trailers that I was thinking of converting into a fly press, but I think the single thread will be a problem... the three or four-lead threads seem to work a lot better. Also I'd have to fabricate a wheel or "head bangers" for the top, and the tool guides, so I think it's probably easier to just buy the right thing. That way I'll have it (and use it) for years...
So I'm thinking of getting a #6 C-frame fly-press from oldworldanvils (http://oldworldanvils.com/flypresses/index.html ). I bought my big anvil (460 pounds) from them, and I was happy with the deal. I'd think about getting a press from somewhere else, though. (http://blacksmithsdepot.com has some). I'm hoping to make this the only fly press I buy.
I have a couple of questions, though.
The #6 is the biggest I can get for one-person operation, and I'm thinking that this is a "bigger is better" kind of thing. Also, Ron Reil seems to be happy with his #6. So, I'm thinking the #6 would be pretty good to get.
Does any one have any suggestions or comments? Is the #6 too big? Is an H-frame significantly better?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff Polaski
You can get these flypresses much cheeper from http://www.maneklalexports.com/English/McTools/FlyPress.htm
Arnar

Arnar Haugedal wrote:

Yes, but they're in Bombay, India (aka Mumbai)! Incidentally, that city had an absolutely *astonishing* 37 inches of rain yesterday, biggest monsoon in recorded history. Do they ship overseas reasonably?
GWE
Yes, I have bought from them.
Arnar

It looks like, in the USA at least, you have to buy the presses through www.blacksmithsdepot.com.
The press from www.oldworldanvils.com is a little heavier. Other than the weight they seem to be exactly the same. Barring any further input, I think I'll go with the one from www.oldworldanvils.com, as it's the same price and a little heavier... Also, I've bought other stuff from them and been happy with it.
Does any one have any experience with either one, good or bad?
The fly presses from Old World Anvils are very good. Dan Morris who originally started Old World Anvils checked out a lot of companies in India that were making clones of English designs. He found a company that built the entire fly press in house ( no subcontracting components), they built them well, and they shipped them in a crate. There was one company he told me that had a decent product but they shipped the presses in a burlap sack strapped to a pallet. He didn't pick them. Anyway, Dan sold the company to Bob Bergman and it's my understanding that Bob is dealing with the same suppliers.
Rob

I don't have a flypress, but I've seen them in action many times. It seems to me that an H frame would be a little harder to use in "feed-along" mode than a C frame press. It depends upon what you are going to do most with it that would determine the style, I think. As far as size goes; you have to get the energy from somewhere to do the forging, so the bigger the press, the more work you have to do to make it move. If you are plannning to do much small work, maybe you'd be better off with a smaller size press.
Pete Stanaitis ---------------------
snipped-for-privacy@rgs.uci.edu wrote:

Yeah, the H-frame seems like it would be harder to use in some situations... It's more ridgid, but I don't think it'll make too much of a difference for the stuff I'll be doing. I figure I'll get a C-frame press.
As far as the size goes, I think the smaller stuff I could do with a hammer and anvil, or a smithin' magician. I'm not sure of the stuff I'll be doing but I can see going up to 1-1/2" to 2" if I end up doing some andirons or railing. It might be tough, but I think I could work hot 2" stock in a #6 press, though I'm just making a guess.