What is it? Set 436

I need some help with the fifth item this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2527 Looks like a small paraffin (Kerosine) heater. Green cap and hook would be to hang it up somewhere when not on use. 2530 could be a centifuge.
Reply to
Stuart
2532 If someone were to tell me that, when struck, this thing rings like a bell, then I could make a guess.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

A remotely controlled directional areal antenna... this is the servo motor mechanism with it's phenolic brackets for attaching the metal rods!

Reply to
Mouse

2528: some kind of seaming or caulking tool. 2531: resembles a portable scale I saw long ago (Brownells, or maybe Edmund Scientific?). Turn the knob for balance and add the dial to the external mark value for total. Maybe for weighing powder or bullets? 2532: expanding mandrel of some kind. For square or octagonal hole..?

Yes, it's a heater, though it was made for a specific purpose.

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.
2527. "smudge pot" for heating fruit fields to prevent freezing.

2531. scales (weight measuring device). found this on ebay:

Design Manufacturing in Portland made "dies, models, stampings, engineering"

Reply to
lektric dan

I suspect you're right, although my father had something very similar, complete with safety cage, to keep the garage (and so the car) slightly warmer overnight and so make the car easier to start in the morning.

Reply to
Dr Nick

Orchard? (I'd initially thought it was a smudge pot.)

Reply to
Drew Lawson

That's it, text on this device says "Auto Motor Heater", so it's definitely similar to what your father had.

Reply to
Rob H.
[snip]

Not centrifuge. But a device to flip tubes around as they rotate so that the contents don't settle.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

2527) Perhaps a "smudge pot" -- designed to coat fruit trees with a layer of soot to protect from a deep freeze.

2528) Chisel for grooving stone to break on a specific line.

2529) The handle looks like that on fairly nice carving knife, fork, and sharpener sets. Perhaps designed to hold something like a roast, turkey or a ham at a more convenient angle for carving and serving. (The spikes are for embedding in the meat. If they were not sharp, I would suggest that they were to rest a serving platter on at an angle.

2530) Turret for holding something clipped in the black things for cleaning or spray painting from multiple angles.

I expect the turret to slowly rotate while the workpieces in the holders are rotated on the arms to present various sides.

It might help if there were close-ups of the holders to guess what was to be mounted in the holders.

If it ran fairly fast, it might be for drying instead of cleaning or painting the workpieces.

2531) Some form of dispenser of a dry measure of something (perhaps gunpowder) -- the amount set by the lines on the half-cylinder and around the piston on the screw.

At a guess, the larger cylinder is rotated by a motor to scoop up the powder, and then turns upside down to dispense it -- except that I'm not sure how it prevents more from being scooped on the other side of the piston.

Hmmm ... with a weight on the hook, it might turn to a smaller or larger setting with each dump.

2532) The handle looks to be for convenience in moving it.

My guess here is that it fits with the hole in the end over a rotating projection which fits it well, and the combination of slots produces a very short flash and a somewhat longer flash as it rotates between a light source and a detector. But I would really expect it to be coated with a flat black finish to minimize reflections.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

AKA: Motorized Usenet troll. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

2529 is a ham holder.
Reply to
aasberry

Good call

--riverman

Reply to
Myron Buck

I think more agitation is required for that.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That's the first one of those I've ever got! Yippee!

The gauze is the give-away: it works like a miner's safety lamp to ensure that any petrol vapour isn't ignited by the flame.

Reply to
Dr Nick

Yes, I think scale is correct but I couldn't find any further information on it. The answers for the rest of them have been posted here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Most trolls are self agitating. (:

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
2531.

Counter Balance, Anti Skating, VTA etc of a tonearm for a turntable.

Reply to
David B