bending mild steel 180

I need to "invert" a stamped steel part; at one end there is a spring hook made with a 90 degree bend at its base. I need to flip this hook

180 so it is 90 degrees on the other side. The stamping is about 3/32" thick and the hook projects maybe 1/4". I only have one chance at this.

I assume it is mild steel.

Cold? Hot? If hot how hot?

Reply to
xpzzzz

If it really is good, clean mild steel (1018 or similar), it's very forgiving. What you *might* get away with covers a lot of territory. It may work cold with no trouble.

Or maybe not, especially if that initial bend is sharp and it was somewhat ironed in the original stamping. For safety, forge at 1500 def. F up to 1800 or so (bright red through orange-yellow), and don't soak it any longer than you have to. It's quite soft at the high end of that range.

If it's alloy steel, the low end -- down to medium-red -- is safer. If it's structural-steel junk, like A36, all bets are off. It will depend on the impurities.

Good luck. Don't bet your life on the results.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Another option may be to just install a straight piece onto the existing tab that extends to the other side (if the existing tab doesn't interfere with other parts).

The add-on piece could possibly be crimped on or soldered in place if there is little load applied to it. The shape of the add-on piece could be a T shape where the extended top ends are bent to fit around the existing tab, then crimped or soldered in place.

Considering that the existing tab could possibly break off to bend it that far, adding a new piece may be a worthwhile approach.. as Stan suggested.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I said I would not be answering your questions because of your foul mouth. It really does not matter what nym you pick. Your questions give you away.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster